Want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction!

fez

Looking for some experienced advise. Fairly new to the hobby and just wondering if what I have so far will do me right in the long run.
I have a 55 gallon brand new setup with:
-fluval 404
-protein skimmer(air powered)
-1.5" of cc base
-3lbs of LR(planning to add more)
-200W heater set to 80
-power head pumping 100 g/h
-stock flour lighting
It has been running for two weeks now and showing signs of growth on CC. Amonia is just about gone. Nitrites are kreeping.
Before it gets any further in the Bio should I add more LR?
My plan is to have a FOWLR tank but maybe in a year or so to add some corals.
Thanks.

kreach

First, I would suggest switching to live sand for your substrate rather than CC. CC has to be vacuumed regularly, otherwise it becomes a nitrate trap. Live sand, on the other hand, does not need to be vacuumed and it also acts as another source of filtration for your tank.
Circulation rate for an aquarium should be around 10x the size of your tank. In other words, you ideally should have 550 gph of circulation in a 55 gallon tank. (55x10=550). So I would suggest adding a couple more powerheads.
Definitely add more LR. It's suggested that you should have 1-2lbs per gallon. You don't have to add it now, but if you add it later, after the tank has fish and such, you'll have to cure the LR in a seperate container before putting it into the tank.
Your lighting is fine for a FOWLR, but you'll need to upgrade to at least power compacts or VHOs before adding corals. There are a few soft corals that might be able to survive with your current lighting (mushrooms, yellow polyps) but most corals need more than standard fluorescents in order to thrive. If you want hard corals or clams, you’ll have to get metal halide lighting.
Hope this helps! Good luck!

kreach

That puts you at 440 gph... so you're pretty close. Add one more powerhead, pumping at least 100 gph, and you should be good for water circulation. :)

kreach

Originally posted by tboman2
one thing you don't have to cure the live rock in another container when you buy. not dissing you kreach.

No offense taken. It is simply just been my experience that many stores do not or rarely carry cured live rock. Usually, all they have is uncured... hence the need to cure it in a seperate container before adding it to a stable/mature system.
Uncured live rock also tends to be less expensive than cured, which to me is worth the time and effort of curing it myself. That's just a personal preference though.

T

therock0861

Actually TBOMAN2 you are the one giving the wrong advice and I am not trying to diss you either. Regardless if the rock was cured or not it will have die off during transport, although not alot, it will still have it. If you are planning on adding LR, add it all at once before adding any live stock. The tank will then more than likely go through a small cycle again and then be ready for lives stock 3-4 weeks after IMO. Kreach was also correct in advising you to remove your CC and go with sand. And to counter what CBOMAN2 said sand does not need to be vacuumed and in fact should never be vacuumed. Be careful of the advise you take it could have serious consequences for your wallet and your little friends. The best advise sometimes is the advise not taken. HTH

fez

If I stay with the CC. How often do I need to vacuum? Is there another way to counteract the Nitrate level?
Any suggestions on sand or LS? Or both?