Wanted to share ich cure....

ja-c

Ok well I am new here and I thought I might contribute some information as sometime down the I might need someone else's.
Now I have had ich once in my tank but having a blue hippo tang doesn't help I guesss cause I did read that they are prone to this. But anyways. This is what I have done to help my situation with ich without any chemicals but can only be done on a fish only tank, not a reef tank.
First off I would increase the temp. I know this makes them multiply much faster. But what I also did was cover the tank with a thick blanket to have complete darkness in the tank. I did do the hyposalinity thing at the same time but only for a few days not too much. I would turn on the light once a day for 30 minutes for a feeding and then I shut the light again and covered up the tank again. I did as well vaccum the crushed coral at the bottom of the tank once every day and change 5% of the water. I did this for one week straight. Checked around for any signs of the ich and I couldnt' see anything.
Did a 10% water change again to return my salt level to it's regular reading and lowered the temp and everythign was fine. The reason why I tried this method is because someone told me at a fish store that ich uses light as an energy source, they can't live in the dark for long periods of time. I tried it and it worked.
All my fish survived and I only had ich that one time in my 4 years of having a tank. Now this might not work for everyone, it worked really well for me, don't know if it's a fluke that it did but it did. I only tried it once, but it's worth trying as it doesn't involve any chemicals or anyhting of the sort. if you have any questions go ahead and ask but please refrain from flaming this, I am only telling people what worked on my tank.
Thanks
Jc

hearn

ja-c, why did you raise the temp if it makes them multiply faster?
If your going to change the temp would'nt you lower it? Just curious