wanting to buy a panther grouper

1guydude

LOL right off the bridge! Thats awsome...ya i dont think id put something like that in my tank, specially right out of the ocean!

travelerjp98

wow that is really awesome. Miami is in the middle of everything, I am going to agree with you on that.
A lot of snakes out there?

S

siptang

1guy - I actually caught a baby queen angel by the keys and added to my friend's 150g and she's doing awesome!
but yea.. not that size in grouper it will devour everything...
traveler - nope, unless you start venturing inside the everglades and the swamps lol.

brain1991

Keeping that grouper would have been a misdemeanor at the least. Thats a gag not a panther and they are protected by florida statute. But nice lil catch, those are what turn into goliath groupers on the uppers of 800 lbs. Dont think your tank would be too happy to house his waste ha

1guydude

right on siptang...wat r u using for bait? worms?
Most of the stuff around here is lakes....never ventured out to the ocean for bottom fishin but i would like too....Ive caught catfish, trout, bass sm and lrg mouth. Mostly freshwater fishing.

S

siptang

brain - I'm pretty sure it was panther that he caught. I looked up gag grouper and the shape didn't look the same as panther as panthers have smaller heads but I could be wrong. :/
Honestly, I don't know all the rules and if it's small, I usually put them back in.
1guydude - Depends on. I use live shrimps, dead fish, squid etc etc. It all depends on what you want to catch and what's around you. For example, tarpans will never go after squid but they will go after live shrimps. Groupers don't care, snappers don't care, marlins use shiny, scented artificial bait etc etc.
I love lake fishing as well but ocean fishing... it's a different ball game let me tell you that.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///forum/thread/385088/wanting-to-buy-a-panther-grouper/20#post_3391132
brain - I'm pretty sure it was panther that he caught. I looked up gag grouper and the shape didn't look the same as panther as panthers have smaller heads but I could be wrong. :/
Honestly, I don't know all the rules and if it's small, I usually put them back in.

1guydude - Depends on. I use live shrimps, dead fish, squid etc etc. It all depends on what you want to catch and what's around you. For example, tarpans will never go after squid but they will go after live shrimps. Groupers don't care, snappers don't care, marlins use shiny, scented artificial bait etc etc.
I love lake fishing as well but ocean fishing... it's a different ball game let me tell you that.
I agree! I don't know all the rules either. If it's small, put it back in!

S

siptang

Right. usually use common sense for these things you know?
Like I said though, I have also seen goliath grouper at Georgia aquarium and it's head was huge, I will post pics of me in front of goliath grouper later. It doesn't have narrow head start ups like panther and it's colors were to the panther's when it gets stressed. (Mine will get white and dark grey spots.)

travelerjp98

I saw a golitath grouper that was 8 ft in the Tampa Bay Aquarium... I loved him!
I just generally have a love for groupers!

travelerjp98

Where is the Georgia Aquarium (I'm going to Georgia soon so I might wanna stop by if it's close to where I'm staying)

brain1991

Ya its a gag no doubt, panthers don't live this far up state anyways. We get a couple neat fish but nothing as pretty as a panther in Tampa.If not illegal, groupers are such good eaters with big personalities, I wouldn't doubt that gag would have made an awesome pet.

S

siptang

I see and groupers are illegal to catch and eat in Florida? Man I gotta watch out what I catch.... caught 2 50 pound strawberry grouper by Dania Beach in Fort Lauderdale about 5 years ago and ate them for days... I'm just happy cobia season is back I just gotta head up north to get some GOOD action.
jp - Georgia Aquarium is in downtown Georgia right across from coca cola factory and near cnn building.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///forum/thread/385088/wanting-to-buy-a-panther-grouper/20#post_3391465
I see and groupers are illegal to catch and eat in Florida? Man I gotta watch out what I catch.... caught 2 50 pound strawberry grouper by Dania Beach in Fort Lauderdale about 5 years ago and ate them for days... I'm just happy cobia season is back I just gotta head up north to get some GOOD action.
jp - Georgia Aquarium is in downtown Georgia
right across from coca cola factory and near cnn building.
What city?

brain1991

Only illegal in some cases, just strictly regulated. And the game species are much more regulated than a panther would be if you caught it down in the keys. Tropical fish are like a 20 fish bag limit or something. I know when I was younger I used to go down to the keys and slurp gun lil fish for my aquarium.Siptang your lucky to live down south

S

siptang

jp - sorry, Atlanta.
brain - yea, I consider myself lucky. Now if I can only find the time to go to the beach...