Warning about Silicone Sealant.

rsd

As we all search for more affordable ways to upgrade and fix our expensive hobbies we find ourselves buying Silicone for DIY and quick fixes.
A guy I met recently works for Dow Corning. They area an awesome company with great products... so this is not a bash on them. He works with their "packaging" dept. At least that is the best description I could give of what he does.
He also has a 180 gal reef tank... so of course we began talking extensively and boring all around us.
I asked him about their 100% silicone sealant. He said he refuses to use it. As we all know, if you use the normal bathroom and kitchen sealant it would invariably kill most of our tank inhabitants. Why? Because most sealants have an antibacterial agent and fungicide!
According to my new friend there is ALOT of cross contamination betwen mixes. Since the product is not used for food or specifically for pets there is no reason to regulate cross contamination. Not only that but their competitors are beginning to tout a new mildew resistant blend... this means they will most likely begin altering the current mix.
So.. is an effort to save $10-20 worth risking your whole tank?
Just passing along what I was told.
as we see again and again... your tank, your choice.

squidd

Good "inside" info...
I could see it happening...Run a "batch" of mildew resistant...squeeze it into the tubes...mix a batch of "household" blend ...same machine...so what if theres some left in the "pipes" before they squeeze out the "new" batch...:thinking:

rsd

I tend to buy Aquarium Sealant from one of the LFS's.
I still am really cautious. I will sqeeze some out of the tube to see if I see any streaks, white material, anything that may be a cross contaminate.
After application I let it stand for 48 hours dry.. fill with fresh water... let stand for 24 hours... fill with salt water and stand for 24 hours.
I know, Overkill, but I am really cautious with DIY projects and want to make sure anything that will leach out will do it in the test phase... not in my tank.

mpls man

go to home depot and get MARINE GOOP, it works great for small leaks, i've done many, just squeze some on and spread it around the area, then dry it with a hair dryer, form a seal, 20 min and ur set to go.