warning/reminder to all!

calbert0

Everyone should be sure to recalibrate their refractometer every month or so....
i had not calibrated my refractometer (put some R/O on it and make sure it reads 0) in several months...
my anemone has not been doing so great the past couple weeks and i couldnt figure out why...
so it randomly occured to me today that my refractometer might be a bit off... and it was..
somehow the calibration screw had turned slightly. While my refractometer was telling me 1.025 -1.026, after recalibrating it i found that my tank was actually closer to 1.032 -1.033

the high salinity may or may not be the cause of the sick animal, but either way im sure as hell glad i fixed it.
so just a friendly reminder to double check your refractometer every now and then.

bmkj02

Its a good pointer. The refractometer said that month recalibration wasnt needed or that it was pre-calibrated when first purchase so no calibration needed. Its a lie on all of them. Calibrate your brand new refractometer before using for the first time and check it monthly. I though wouldnt use RO to calibrate it. Use a calibration fluid to do it

calbert0

Calibration fluid? i've never heard of it....
i was told to either use R/O water or Distilled water.
what is calibration fluid?

reefkprz

refractometers should be re-calibrated everytime the room temperature changes more than 5 degrees. (even ATC refractometers) say int eh winter your living room is generally 70 dgrees while in the summer it may easily be 5 degrees higher orlower you should recalibrate. I check mine about once a month just to be sure.

snakeblitz33

A decent refractometer should also come with calibration fluid in a little bottle. It is absolutely 100% pure lab grade water.
Though, I've been using distilled water for years without a problem. The problem with distilled water is that yes, it is purified, but you don't know if the collection plate is copper or brass or whatever - and you don't know what type of metal the condensor and container was either - so there might be leftover atoms/molecules in the water. blah blah blah
Oh, and yes, reefkpz makes a very good point. Salinity changes slightly according to +-5F. So - keep em' calibrated! hydrometers are the worst to try and get the right calibration. UGH!

salt210

I wonder if that is what killed that frag of exnia that I bought awhile back, guess Ill never know.......

cranberry

My refractometer has never strayed... sometimes it makes me nervous that it's not calibrated right because it's always caliborated perfectly. Had the thing for 4 years now. Never once but I check it all the time.

calbert0

i have a vertex portable refractometer which i thought was among the best..?.. but no calibration fluid came with mine

C

cmaxwell39

They also sell calibration fluid for refractometers which is a solution which is at precisely 35ppt salinity. I didn't think that calibrating with RO would change it that much compared to calibrating with the calibration solution, but it made a difference of about .003 SG. Just a hint.