Warning to all new and not-new hobbiest. MUST READ

sarwiz100

Originally Posted by acrylic51
That would have been perfect in that situation, but maybe you should pick up March issue of FAMA magazine and has a really good article as to why to stay away from GFCI's.....Good reading material for all the believers!!!!!!!!
I have not read that article, but I am initially biased against it's advice. I will pick it up and read it later today.

acrylic51

I'm not saying in any means they don't save lives or serve purpose, but for use totally around the fish tank can and will be a problem......Most people have their lines or circuits overloaded as it is and most don't know how to break down the loads on their circuits as well which creates another problem in itself....
The article I'm referring to is in March issue of FAMA titled "Life Support", page 34 under Ground Fault Interrupters.......The aurthor of this article is Dan Theisen......He states he knows they are a livesaver, but a GFI has the potential to rob your tank of life. If a GFI trips unexpectedly and goes unnoticed then your power hungry reef tank is dead in the water.
Multiple circuits will help, specially, if one of them is a non-GFI circuit. In the cabinet next to my tank (but away from moisture) there is a single powerstrip that is hooked up to a non-GFI circuit. There is a pwerhead and (in the winter) a heater plugged into this strip. This way I know my tank will have a critical supply of oxygen and heat even if the main GFI circuit trips. The powerstrip has its own kill switch so it is a simple matter to cut power each time I need to put my hands in the tank. Just don't forget!!!!!
Avoid the plug-in type GFI's. They are very ficle and prone to kicking off without provocation. The one I tried would kick off occasionally from the start-up of the metal halide ballasts. The hardwired GFI receptacles are much more reliable. Call an electrician if you don't feel comfortable wiring one.
Again he's not saying they are bad and not a lifesaver, but they have their places and uses.....Again my point was they are potential problems if the inital circuit is overloaded which most people do run into that problem.....Most people have 15 amp breakers and put a GFI outlet and plug everything into 1 power stip in that outlet and they forget about all the other stuff on the same circuit, or maybe it's fine, but someone adds a heavy draw item like a blow dryer or curling iron to that circuit for a short period and it's very possible to trip the GFI.
I had a similar problem in my bathrooms....I had my house built 5 years ago and my GFI's would trip if both my wife and daughters would run blow driers and curling irons together.....I'm lucky due to my brother-in-law being an electrician owning his own business and I work on the side for him as well, so I called him in and the builder did use 12/2, but 15 amp circuit......Again some people aren't sure or don't know, but will put a 20 amp breaker on 14/2 wire, which is a heavy load for that wire. Since the breaker could be swapped out due to the heavier gauge wire it wasn't a problem. I've installed GFI's and have found them bad right out of the box after installation.......
Again they are lifesavers, but caution and common sense has to be used with all items and electrical common sense and some knowledge as well.....Know what your load capacities are per circuit and what each item is drawing......In designing my new circuits for my fishroom, I thought out about what was going to be where and such, and ran my lines and knew ahead of time what type of equipment I was going to be running and split my loads up evenly among the 4 circuits that supply the fishroom, knowing I have an overkill, but will never exceed the 80% load your suppose to or safely put on a circuit.....

acrylic51

Originally Posted by zman1
GFI outlet - actually it detect the difference in current. It also protects if wired correctly any additional outlets wired to the load side of the circuit.
Hey Zman1 where are those outlets located at? Are they under the tank in the stand?????

acrylic51

Again Zman1 I understand what your saying about it protecting things on the load side of the GFI, but why would you want all your other equipment to shut down as well?

sarwiz100

Acrylic51, I just read the article and your post, and you hit one of the nails on the head. Splitting circuits is the way to go. I have to install 2 more for our fish room, but for now just runing a cord. I do believe that anything connected to that tank should be o a gfci. We also have 12-2wg wire, but still have a 15 amp in the breaker box. Right now only at 60% load cap, and 12 ga is rated max@30 amps in a 2 wire config by the NEC. I would never even try to put that load on that wire, but that is a redundant safety factor. Also, on most gfci's, or in the literature supplied within, monthly testing is always recommended. I, also , have gotten bad ones. as with breakers, I have had them go bad as well. There are circuits on the internet for power off warning systems you can build yourself, but someone does have to be there to hear it. Thinking along the lines of a UPS??!!!(Hmmmm)

nanahugs

I had the same thing happen to me a month ago on my QT tank. My strip is now high and GFI on all my fish tanks. Like you, I was there when it happened and smelled smoke and acted quickly. The tank inhabitants were ok, whew!

zman1

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Again Zman1 I understand what your saying about it protecting things on the load side of the GFI, but why would you want all your other equipment to shut down as well?

Located on Floor/Ceiling joist depending on your perspective - in the basement. I have had my Circuit Breaker trip because of load not the GFI. I have debated pulling another circuit with another GFI. If all the heaters are turned on while the MHs fired up, I have tripped the circuit breaker before. I have only tripped the GFI once and I know, I caused that, but I won't mention it here.

zman1

Originally Posted by sarwiz100
Acrylic51, I just read the article and your post, and you hit one of the nails on the head. Splitting circuits is the way to go. I have to install 2 more for our fish room, but for now just runing a cord. I do believe that anything connected to that tank should be o a gfci. We also have 12-2wg wire, but still have a 15 amp in the breaker box. Right now only at 60% load cap, and 12 ga is rated max@30 amps in a 2 wire config by the NEC. I would never even try to put that load on that wire, but that is a redundant safety factor. Also, on most gfci's, or in the literature supplied within, monthly testing is always recommended. I, also , have gotten bad ones. as with breakers, I have had them go bad as well. There are circuits on the internet for power off warning systems you can build yourself, but someone does have to be there to hear it. Thinking along the lines of a UPS??!!!(Hmmmm)
12 ga is rated max@30 amps
No incorrrect - 12 ga is for a 20 amp, 14 ga for 15 amp.

str7205

I had the similar thing happen to me when I had splashed some water out of the tank while cleaning, water change, etc. The difference with my experience is that I didn't smell anything.....just felt one hell of a shock when I went to unplug my filter for cleaning...moral of the story; pay attention....my arm was numb for 2-3 hours

zman1

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
Zman1...I have the same timers as you :joy:

Timex -- takes a lick'in and keeps on tick'in --LOL

mudplayerx

Timex -- takes a lick'in and keeps on tick'in --LOL
I like the noise they make too...sounds like i have old-style clocks in my bedroom lol. Did you get yours at Walmart?

farmboy

12 ga is rated max@30 amps
No incorrrect - 12 ga is for a 20 amp, 14 ga for 15 amp.
Right. The higher current rating is for different types of wire rated for higher temps. The rating for the type of wire used in a home is the lower. 14 AWG = 15 A, 12 AWG = 20 A, 10AWG = 30 A(like your dryer probably has)

hagfish

To the original poster, since you are in a public place and around kids a lot you might consider getting a locking hood for your aquarium. Aside from the fire hazard, they also could have wiped out your tank by pouring in some soda or something.

sarwiz100

you got me zman, I looked at the hi temp industrial wire ratings in my nec bok. Haven't used it in so long I just went to the page I used to always use and didn't check the type correctly. I sit corrected.