Waste RO water - What can I use it for?

I feel bad letting all the waste RO/DI water go down the drain, what can I use it for?
Obviously not planning on drinking it, but can I use it to water plants? Since the 'good' water is being seperated from this waste water, are there higher concentrations of chemicals per gallon?
Just curious what some options are.
Thanks!

jimvette1

Originally Posted by westwind77
http:///forum/post/3033540
I feel bad letting all the waste RO/DI water go down the drain, what can I use it for?
Obviously not planning on drinking it, but can I use it to water plants? Since the 'good' water is being seperated from this waste water, are there higher concentrations of chemicals per gallon?
Just curious what some options are.
Thanks!
I use mine for the wash machine (Some people dump right into the washer) also I use it to water my plants.
I guess you could wash your car with it but I haven't tried that yet.

Just to name a few......

jdl

goto HD and buy a sprinker system that runs off 1/4 tubing, it is around $20. Then hook up your waste line to it and water your lawn.

tscuda

x2 on the doing the wash. I hooked up my RO in the laundry room so I could run the waste line right into the washer. And there is a lot of waste water.

robn70

Originally Posted by tscuda
http:///forum/post/3033898
x2 on the doing the wash. I hooked up my RO in the laundry room so I could run the waste line right into the washer. And there is a lot of waste water.
Same here. Plus use it for watering plants when not doing any wash.

zero26

How do you hook up the waste line to the washer? I am still new at all this, do you guys run your ro water all the time? I was thinking of filling a trash can full with a float valve, after the float shuts off the water supply doesn't the whole system stop? It doesnt keep filtering water all day right? Sorry for the stupid questions!

martymcfly

I think the easiest thing to do is water plants if you have any...thats what I do. I have also used the waste water to fill the base of my basketball hoop but thats not something that is going to apply for everyone.

S

saltman23

any one think it could be used for a cichlid tank? Is there a higher chemical concentration?

jimvette1

Originally Posted by zero26
http:///forum/post/3034392
How do you hook up the waste line to the washer?
My unit is next to the washer and my waste line is long enough to just drop it into the washer.
I am still new at all this, do you guys run your ro water all the time?
I have an automatic shut off and a float valve, so my unit is on 24/7, but shuts off when float valve is satisfied.The auto shutoff then turns off the unit.
I was thinking of filling a trash can full with a float valve, after the float shuts off the water supply doesn't the whole system stop?
Yes, I do this but only if your unit has an auto/shut off valve. (Note:It is not recommended to impede flow on the output side of your unit, damage could occur. )
It doesnt keep filtering water all day right? Sorry for the stupid questions!
If your supply line is on, and there is not a shut off (float valve combined with a auto shut off) then it will run 24/7.
These answers are based on my unit, as I am only familiar with my unit.