wat are the best saltwater cubes to buy

R

reefernana

Originally Posted by frogman5
where online do they have these biocubes and wat is jbj
Do a search for an Oceanic 29 gal BioCube. That should pull up different sites that have them. If you just want info, go to oceanicsystems.com. They run anywhere from $229 to $299. Oceanic has a great reputation for there tanks. JBJ is another brand of a nano cube.

reefer545

The new Red Sea 34 g is by far head adn shuolders above the rest. I have the JBJ 24 dx, but had the Red Sea been out, I would definitley have gone for that.

oceansidefish

We have the 24G aquapod and have been very pleased, plus we got a refurbished one and paid about 90 bucks for it.

clay12340

The red sea seems nice, but the customer reviews I've read say the skimmer is useless.
All of the brands make basically the same product.
Current USA makes the aquapods with optional metal halides that I think are probably the best deal in the nano market right now. You can get a 24g with a 150w HQI for around $300. That is more than enough light to keep anything you'd want, and at a very reasonable price.
Regardless of which one you buy you will run into the same hurdles and have to do basically the same things to overcome them.
For overall cost and flexibility it is still cheaper to just buy a standard tank and add your own fixin's and you'll have a say in every piece of equipment that goes into it.

snaredrum

29 BioCube here. The BioCube does have a few minor issues. One, the back wall is a little short. Keep an eye on jumpers or when putting hand in tank could wash fish over the back. Two, the carbon cartage placement is bad. It causes water level problems in my tank. I still use it but NOT in the slots it should be in. Also buy a Sapphire Aquatics BC29 skimmer from day one. It fits nicely in the 2nd chamber and the results are unbeliveable.

craig_08

JBJ (ie. nanocube) just came out with a new version. It is 28 gallons, has HQI MHs with 4 moonlights, and has a skimmer, a heater compartment, and two return pumps and nozzles. It also has an open back/sump area to allow you to get to the skimmer and sump areas more easily. JMHO

jtutton

I just picked up a 12 gal. aquapod. I ordered it throught he LFS and asked about the jbj. He said he could order me one, but he has trouble finding parts and doesn't like htme as well as the aquapods. I trust him because he cut me the best deal he could on the aquapod and he could have ordered the jbj if I decided on that. He also mentioned that the aquapods are glass, not acrylic which is much sturdier and easier the maintain than acrylic.
I love the aquapod. As soon as I finish populating it with some stuff from my 65 at home, I'll try and post some pics.
The new aquapods have built in fans and led moonlights. Also separate plugs and on/off switches for all the stuff. You need a powerstrip for all the plugs, but it's a sweet setup!

apu701

are you sure the aquapods are glass? i have been wanting a nano glass tank with rounded corners..

apu701

oh never mind.. it is glass..hmmm gotta rethink now.. how do u like the aquapod? any shortcommings? which lights u get?

herefishy2

As was suggested in an earlier response, I bought a 20 g. tank and stand separately and added in all the equipment I wanted. I just like the look of the "traditional' tank over the cubes...BUT, one day I will try my hand at a smaller cube. They are hard to resist!

oceansidefish

My 24G aquapod is acrylic with a rounded front...With less than 25 bucks in mods (splitter for 2 heads and an additional fan wired into the sunpod to cool the water) it has been working awesome, we did additionally add a skimmer though.

oceansidefish

Originally Posted by herefishy2
As was suggested in an earlier response, I bought a 20 g. tank and stand separately and added in all the equipment I wanted. I just like the look of the "traditional' tank over the cubes...BUT, one day I will try my hand at a smaller cube. They are hard to resist!

I agree I am thinking about trying a small 8 or 12 for the bedroom!