wat can i use instead of a plug?

skate020

ok, so i want to frag my kenya tree, but i dont have any plugs, i've been to all 3 LFS around and they only order them if someone has specificly asked for them, which generally means there overpriced cos around here they dont like going out their way to get stuff.
so yeh, i have loadsss of these aluminimum washer things used for the bolts of my snowboard. i've got tons that havent been opened so are 100% sterile, they wont rust. and so on, they're just like plugs just metal, could i use them?

meowzer

You can use a small piece or LR rubble, and either rubberband, or tie the kenya to it
ORRRR put it in a container with some rubble....Kenya tree (IMO) attaches easy....at least it did for me..LOL

skate020

ahhh ok, i'll give it a try:D
also, my hammer coral has started to split, not got 2 heads yet but its got 2 mouths, and i think one has died. one side is all puffy, the other side most tenticles are deflated, with about 3 puffy tenticles. does every tenticle need to be deflated for it to be dead? and wat should i do in the meant time before the heads have actually detached?

flower

I would not use anything metal in a saltwater tank.
A small piece of rock is fine to use instead of plugs. You can take a hammer to a chunk of rock and get all kinds of pieces to use. Hold a kenya or any other softy with a rubberband...hard coral can be glued with super glue gel
...mushrooms, toadstools and Xenia can just be put near the rubble and they will attach.
I never fragged Kenya tree..YET...LOL

reefkprz

Originally Posted by skate020
http:///forum/post/3175452
i have loadsss of these aluminimum washer things used for the bolts of my snowboard. i've got tons that havent been opened so are 100% sterile, they wont rust. and so on, they're just like plugs just metal, could i use them?
they wont rust but they will corrode. and they will contaminate your tank thats an vehement NO.
live rock rubble, white marble chunks (you can pick up a 20LB bag of white marble chunks at home depot and not worry about needing plugs for years) DIY plugs are some of your options.

skate020

aha thanks:D i'll try it now, wont use the metal things lol.
they mess with some fish's natural senses dont they.
sorry mad forgetting moment lols.
lotsa ppl tolf me with the kenya tree, just slice it and stick:D

skate020

ok i done it:D
just sliced off a branch and used a rubber band to attach it to some LR rubble, how long do i need to keep the rubber band on? couple months?

reefkprz

http:///forum/post/3175948
ok i done it:D
just sliced off a branch and used a rubber band to attach it to some LR rubble, how long do i need to keep the rubber band on? couple months?
about a week. they begin attaching in about an hour a couple skin cells at a time. I have seen them attach enough to remove the band in low flow conditions in about 24 hours, though in such a short period is easy to disconnect the weak bond simply by removing the band.

skate020

ahhh fair enough, ok i'll remove it next weekend sometime:D
i might buy a tinnyyy zoo colony, any type, and frag the heck out of them:D

skate020

the frag fell off:(
now theres only like a very thin layer of cells on the LR.
will that EVENTUALLY turn into a tree?
the frag came off due to the flow (i think) and is in the corner on the sand, its not moving so i assume soon it'll attach to the sand and grow some more:D
thats my plan lols.

reefkprz

http:///forum/post/3176531
the frag fell off:(
now theres only like a very thin layer of cells on the LR.
will that EVENTUALLY turn into a tree?
the frag came off due to the flow (i think) and is in the corner on the sand, its not moving so i assume soon it'll attach to the sand and grow some more:D
thats my plan lols.
that will work. once it attaches to the sand you can dry the sand and superglue it to a rock of your choosing