watchman goby pistol shrimp

prohopper

So i have had a yellow watchman goby for about 3 weeks now and I want to get a pistol shrimp with hopes that they will pair up. My question is is there any type of "homemade" burrow I could bury in the sand with hopes that they will use it? I had an idea of using PVC to make an under gravel tee section with a 45 degree angle that comes above the substrate. The reason I want to do this is i am afraid that the shrimp and goby will make their burrow somewhere in the back of the tank out of view (where the goby likes to hide now) Any input is appreciated

btldreef

If you do attempt this, make sure that the pistol is large enough that the goby does not attempt to eat it. Many people who have gobies prior to attempt to add a shrimp end up with the gobies thinking they're food.
The PVC probably won't work, but it is work a shot. My pistol/goby pair do not stay in the same burrow for long and move around, together, so even if they start out in the PVC, it's likely that they won't stay there forever and if they do pair, they're probably go where the goby feels safe and comfortable. The goby has to feel safe in order for the pistol to stay with it.

chain

+1 to BTL.... I have also have a yellow watchman/randalls pistol paired in my 29 gallon reef. Their burrow spans the entire length of the tank beneath the rock work. I also rarely see either one; however in most cases they will venture into the tank. I also have peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp in the same tank which the small pistol see's as aggressive neighbors and most likely contributes to his hermit like behavior. You could try the pipe idea, but as BTL said the shrimp will dig as it sees fit and will take into consideration the living quarters of the paired fish. Mine uses empty shells to block entrances to the burrow now which I find pretty nifty as he used to collapse the entrances. Also a nifty story of how I got my pair. I went to purchase the yellow watchman by itself knowing it had a paired shrimp. I wasn't planning on having a pair so I was just going to get the watchman. When I got home I saw the watchman had something in its mouth and after placement into the quarantine tank it spit out the little randalls pistol. Idk if he indeed was trying to eat him or he didn't want to leave his little friend. I did call the fish store and tell them and returned the following day to pay for the shrimp. I couldn't bring myself to break them apart after what they went through. I am mostly convinced though that the fish was in fact eating him; however I like to think he was bringing his friend with him. I've had them for over 3 years now living comfortably together in my tank. The pistol snaps at night, more then likely at hermits or snails, which are getting close to him as he closes the burrow holes.
The symbiotic relationship they share is something really interesting to behold. You'll love the pair together. Be sure to research the type of pistol shrimp you plan on getting as some of the larger species can be pretty aggressive and nasty in a community tank.

prohopper

Thanks for the responses. I never heard of a watchman eating a pistol shrimp so thanks for informing me. i was about to buy a pistol shrimp last week but didn't because he was too small. Now I know for sure to wait until my LFS gets a decent size one.

btldreef

Go with a Randall's (Randalli), they're the easiest to pair. Mine is paired with a Yasha Goby, so I know the Yasha can't even eat it. My YWG is extremely aggressive so I'd never even try with him. The Randall's also seem to be far less aggressive. I keep mine with a fireshrimp and numerous hermits and snails in a refugium and he's never harmed any of them. The snapping is really cool at night.

btldreef

Another thing to consider, it's the shrimps decision who will pair with who. My shrimp and Yasha had an argument of some sort about a year ago and for two weeks the shrimp shacked up with my tail spot blenny (sorry the quality of the pic isn't that great):

It was very interesting that he did this. Left the burrow on the other side of the tank and went right across to this spot. The blenny wouldn't let the Yasha near the burrow. This went on for about two weeks and then the shrimp just decided it was time to go home and hasn't left the Yasha since. I've even moved them to a new tank and they stayed together. I guess he was going through a mid life crisis, LOL

prohopper

Yeah from what I have been told it is best to go with a Randalli as well. My LFS had a larger shrimp im not sure what kind it was but he really wasnt colorful at all. I chose a fairly small yellow watchman because of my tank size (14 gallon biocube) I'm just going to wait untill the store has a decent sized Randalli and hope that they pair up.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prohopper http:///forum/thread/384638/watchman-goby-pistol-shrimp#post_3370322
Yeah from what I have been told it is best to go with a Randalli as well. My LFS had a larger shrimp im not sure what kind it was but he really wasnt colorful at all. I chose a fairly small yellow watchman because of my tank size (14 gallon biocube) I'm just going to wait untill the store has a decent sized Randalli and hope that they pair up.
I had my pistol in a 14G BioCube for quite some time, so I need to warn you of something:
The bottom grate on the overflow (it's the bottom left right corner of the tank if you're looking through the front glass, opposite side of the return) offers a wonderful little hiding place for pistol shrimp. I've had two go through that darn grate. I ended up cutting all the teeth off the grate to get my last one out. I then had to glue a smaller grating over it. It wasn't fun. So if you're putting a pistol shrimp in a BioCube, get one that can't make it's way through that grate, because trust me, that's where they'll go. It's dark and safe and a perfect little cave for them. My Yasha was frantic trying to find a way in there until I cut the grate out.