Water #2

chadman

i am getting ready to do my first water change...i just want to double check that it is fine to use distilled water and that i do not have to detoxify it in any way just add salt....thank u to anyone who can help

xrayman

If you do not have an ro/di unit distilled water is ok.DO you have access to wal-mart they have RO water for 33 cents a gallon,But distilled is way better than tap if that is all you have i used distilled water from wal-mart for a while without having any problems.If you want to do a search for distilled water in this forum there has been a lot of thread about that and type of water to use.

chadman

i have been hearing that wal mart has it but my local one doesn't they only have distilled...i started my tank with tap water...i know i know...but i did not know any better at the time...

xrayman

Is the wal-mart a supercenter?THe ro water comes from a culligan machine.IMO if you do not have access to a machine like that than distilled is way better than tap.

chadman

no i have been researching getting one but i only have a 30g and i need to do a water change asap so i am just going to use the distilled unless i can track down some ro/di water...

xrayman

Are you positive about the ro culligan machine at your wal-mart took me a long time to figure out where it was and what it was.

xrayman

You can or they sell 1,3 and 5 gallon containers you can buy then after that it is just the price of the water,but be sure it is RO water coming from that machine i just know for a fact that 33 cents over time is alot cheaper than 64 cents a gallon.There has been alot of threads on here about wal-mart water and distilled but if you don;t have a ro/di unit like myself there are not very many options :thinking:

chadman

alrighty well thank u i am off to the other side of town to the super wal mart to try my luck...thanks for your help

pallan

also maybe i missed the advice but if not make sure you age the salt water at least 24 hours to let it stabilize before adding to your tank.

hot883

Originally Posted by xrayman
If you do not have an ro/di unit distilled water is ok.DO you have access to wal-mart they have RO water for 33 cents a gallon,But distilled is way better than tap if that is all you have i used distilled water from wal-mart for a while without having any problems.If you want to do a search for distilled water in this forum there has been a lot of thread about that and type of water to use.
It's a $1.28 at my wal mart :scared: out of their machine.

barelycuda

You may want to check at your LFS. The one next to my house has RO/DI water premixed for 80 cents a gallon or just RO/Di for 50 cents a gallon. I just take in a 5 gallon jug once a week for my water change & for $4.00 it's well worth it.

chadman

uh oh...i did not check back before the water change and i just got it to the right temp and added it to my tank i new nothing about letting it age!!! what happens now?!?!?!

jerth6932

At it again with the water huh? man.....
........Just watch your levels now, and make sure you stay steady, if you see any problems then address them,and wait in the future!! What do you have in your tank so far?