water change equipment

OK...I have reached my wits end with something. When I do water changes, I always run into frustrations. This is how I currently have it set up.
I have a bucket and when new water is in, I place tubing into the water, but the tubing end always floats to the top of hovers at half way mark of the bucket. I get so frustrated because I have not figured out a way to make it saty at the bottom of the bucket and allow for a hassel free and continuous water change.
I will take any suggestions on making it easier. I simply want the end of the tube to stay at the bottom of the bucket.

I'm lazy and don't care too much for the taste of salt water (but I'm getting used to it with all my recent plumbing adventures), so I use a Python to remove the desired amount of water from the tank. It drains directly into the sink. They are not terribly expensive and most local pet stores carry them.
To get the new water back in, I use a pump and about 10 feet of 3/4" hose and simply drop the pump (with hose attached of course) into my barrel of aged seawater and let 'er rip. I use distilled water for the tanks but still let it age with a powerhead for at least several days to a week before I use it.
Good luck! You'll develop a system that will work well for you!

bustashat

i use a power head 802 pump on the end of a peice of hose. place it in the tank and pump it into a bucket, dump 5 gals down the sink. stick the hose in the new water and put the pump on reverse. its so easy and fast
and since i get filtered ocean water from the scripps pier, i dont have to mix!

N

newreefers

I went to a store and bought a pump that is salt water safe. attached two 10' pieces of garden hose on the pump. It self primes and moves 5 gals of water in less than 2 minutes. Ican drain my entire tank in less than 7 minutes. When I'm ready to put the new water in, move the hose from the tank to the bucket and the end that is in the bucket to the tank. No fuss, no mess, and no sucking down salt water. the pump cost about $65.00. I got mine at Granger. Well worth it.:)

jumpfrog

I still do the old fashion siphon method. I had trouble with my hose not staying in the bucket too. Took a close pin and two tie wraps. Attached the closepin to the hose at the right lenght/depth. Now I just start the siphon and clip the closepin to the side of the bucket.
No worries.
But, I'm going to get an extra pump to make life easier:)
Good Luck

sal t. nutz

Try this for an easy water change. Only works if you have overflows.
Mix up your saltwater in your bucket and get it ready. Have a powerhead pump the water directly into the aquarium. Put a T or Y splitter on your overflow sump hose and a valve on both legs after the T. One run of the hose from the T goes to the sump for normal operation, this is the valve that will be open most of the time. The other run of hose off the T goes to a valve and on the other side of the valve is a garden hose connector. When you start the powerhead pumping the new water into the tank, close the valve going to your sump, and open the other valve and have a garden hose connected to it. Run the garden hose to your normal dumping spot (outside, toilet, etc.). Make sure the powerhead is pumping water in the far end, away from the overflow, and into the bottom of the tank. This will enable you to do quick, dry, water changes and allow you to change the EXACT amount of water. I used to make up water and then drain some and it was always too much or too little.

rsd

Love that method Sal T. Nutz!
Mine is pretty simple as well. 1 bucket new water with 1/2" hose siphoning to sump.
At the same time 1 bucket siphoning old water out of tank with 1/2" hose. 5 minutes later dump 1 bucket outside and store for next trip.
My tank level never drops, my critters have never noticed I've done anything.
As for holding the hose.... I use my mag float on the bucket just like I do the tank. Take one float on the inside/one on the out and move it to the floor of the bucket and pin down the hose.
Simple minds make simple methods.
And I keep it simple.