Water Change Help! :)

matte

Good evening all!
So I made a switch to Oceanic Natural Sea Salt recently but I'm having an issue with "Stewing" it for my water changes.
After a day of "stewing" I still have very cloudy water with a lot of calcium precipitation. Water when mixed was 79F, with two power heads going.
Is Oceanic salt mix suppose to stew? Because 5 min after i mixed all the salt to my required SG (1.026) the water was crystal clear.
Just looking for a little help on what to do with this stuff.
[edit] Thought i would post it here after searching the interwebs for most the afternoon.

9supratt4

I've never used the salt....but the reason you are supposed to let it sit (stew) for 24 hours is so that it is completely mixed and gets oxygenated.
It being cloudy....I can't help with....my Reef Crystals is cloudy at first, but quickly clears.

matte

Thats what i find funny, when i first added the salt, its instantly gone. 5min after adding ALL the salt i needed it was still crystal clear. Wondering if it a brand thing, where the user doesn't have to actually "cure" it for more than 10min.

xcali1985

I think the whole letting saltwater sit is all bull. From experience and knowing the guys who go take care of tanks for 2 LFSs in my area. They mix and pour on site as soon as the water is clear and temp is right.
I do the same thing. As long as the water is clear I say us it then. If your tank is set up with skimmer and such oxygen won't be a problem. JOMO.

ryancw01

Yeah...the guys that moved my tank and take care of the ones at work do the same thing. They have really heavy duty mixing pumps though with handles on them. I just let mine sit overnight. I can be patient.

rickandmel

i just purchased a 90 gallon tank. I look to have about 10 fish with live rocks, no corals. How often would a water change be necessary?

matte

Really depends.
I've read some people like doing smaller 15-20% water changes weekly. Or Bi-weekly, Some people like doing 40-50% water changes monthly.
Really depends on the tank and its needs from what I understand.
Personally I chose to do 20% weekly for my 125g.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by rickandmel
http:///forum/post/3231058
i just purchased a 90 gallon tank. I look to have about 10 fish with live rocks, no corals. How often would a water change be necessary?%%
There are as many answers to this question as there are hobbiests. I believe most authors still suggest 5-10% weekly (preferred) or 20% monthly. IMO, this is about right for most tanks. I've done the 20% (or less) monthly changes for as long as I can remember and it works fine for me. I tend to stock on the heavy side too.
My favorite "expert" says this, intended for basic maintenance; "In a marine or freshwater aquarium with a good filtration system, water changes can be done monthly and are generally used for reducing the amount of nitrates in the water."