Water change poll -

lopeyc

I was told that my tank, highly stable in terms of testable conditions, only needs to be added to with fresh water to replace evaporation. Obviously I will check salinity periodically, but otherwise, it was recommended that I not do water changes.
Here's my question: If you're adding buffering, trace elements, calcium, etc and your ammonia, etc. are non-existent, why would you do a water change?

jmesmcm

I change 3 instant ocean buckets a week, 2 on Sunday and 1 on Wednesday. Couldn't imagine not changing it, tank just seems to do better with more frequent small water changes.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by lopeyc
Here's my question: If you're adding buffering, trace elements, calcium, etc and your ammonia, etc. are non-existent, why would you do a water change?

Water changes are a way to export harmful chemicals out of yoru system and import trace elements back into your system. If yo uare adding buffering, trace, calc. etc and your system stays level - thats fine - but how do you fully dilute the pollution in your system?? Sure macro's and other critters use some of hte waste - but you may have other hatyou may have other items in your water column that build to catastrophic proportions .... you know - too much of a good thing sort of scenario!

lopeyc

Originally posted by overanalyzer
Water changes are a way to export harmful chemicals out of yoru system and import trace elements back into your system. If yo uare adding buffering, trace, calc. etc and your system stays level - thats fine - but how do you fully dilute the pollution in your system?? Sure macro's and other critters use some of hte waste - but you may have other hatyou may have other items in your water column that build to catastrophic proportions .... you know - too much of a good thing sort of scenario!

Well, my limited understanding is that all the good stuff on my live rock is doing most of the heavy lifting, while the protein skimmer is taking out organic particulates. I have these calcium+elements cubes that are supposed to dissolve at the exact rate needed, plus I added a capful of reef solution with elements, etc, a week ago.
I actually added 20 new gallons when I got the tank a month ago...so I am not yet using *old water*.

overanalyzer

I'd still recommend thinking of doing a small water change on a regularly scheduled basis.
Hey noticed you are a writer - what do you write??

jeo

Just did my first significant water change in my 75 last month (25 gallons) anf the tank has been running for more than a year! :cool:

lopeyc

Originally posted by overanalyzer
I'd still recommend thinking of doing a small water change on a regularly scheduled basis.

OK, I'll do it. Just wondering what the theory is behind it. Just checked my salinity and notice it has crept up a bit, which seems odd...
Hey noticed you are a writer - what do you write??

I'm a journalist. I'd rather not say more than that, as I don't want to get in debates or flamed. :rolleyes:

overanalyzer

Originally posted by lopeyc
I'm a journalist. I'd rather not say more than that, as I don't want to get in debates or flamed. :rolleyes:

Hey shoot me an e-mail. I am interested to hear a little more....
hilscher@kc.rr.comNOSPAM
remove the no spam!

overanalyzer

Originally posted by Kipass4130
Until you understand all of the water chemistry....
water changes are the most easy/best way to keep all of these elements in balance.

AMEN - and you know what ... even once you understand them I'd think the benefits of a regular water change would still be much higher than letting your water sit!

bahamianme

I switched from 30 gal to a 55 gal. The 55 gal I have 3-4" sand and I am just about finished putting live rock in it. Ever since I started w/lr, my water quality has been very, very good. No problems.
BTW, Lopeye, where did you get your avator and how do you installl?
my email: Bahamian1999@Yahoo.com.
:confused: :eek:

I know alot of people are going to tell me this is a bad idea, but i have only changed the water in my 90 once in the past four years it has been set up. I do it because i read somewhere that if you add trace elements to your aquarium and have enough live rock/ live sand to harbor denitrifying bacteria, then you dont have to change the water. All i do is add calcium, iodine, iron, coral vite, and a couple other trace elements. This has worked fine for me. My carpet anemone is close to 5 years old now and has grown a huge amount since i bought it. My other corals are also doing fine. This might be part of the reason for my success, but i only have 2 fish in my 90, a clownfish and a hawkfish. I just thought i would tell everyone that it is possible to have a successful reef without doing water changes.

lopeyc

Originally posted by Bahamianme
I switched from 30 gal to a 55 gal. The 55 gal I have 3-4" sand and I am just about finished putting live rock in it. Ever since I started w/lr, my water quality has been very, very good. No problems.
BTW, Lopeye, where did you get your avator and how do you installl?
my email: Bahamian1999@Yahoo.com.
:confused: :eek:

I just did a google search for "avatar" and there are sites with a gazillion of them. I can't remember which one I grabbed it from. Copy the url.
To install, you go to your "user cp" page and then go to "edit profile" I believe, then follow the directions to paste in your url.

naturelover

never had regular changes. I do water changes depending on situation. In 3 yrs i have done 6 water changes most of them are around 10gal except the last one which was around 15gal (did after 10 month just because my colt of 3yrs got stung and died) all these water changes were done just to be cautious even tho there were no real threat.

leboeuf

I've done three 20% changes since the day i filled the tank. It's been 10 months, knock on wood. All the corals I own have grown in this time period. The only real issues I have had to deal with are low phosphates which correct themselves every coupleof days.

justinx

5% on a weekly basis. Seems like a lot, but I only have a 22 gallon tank and no filtration. So its kinda necessary. But my water paramaters dont change. Period.