water change question

dragracer

when you guys do your water changes........do you mix water with the same salinity or do you go with a smaller amount........some debate in my house going on about this.

robertmathern

You want to use the same salinity as what is in your tank. The only time I wolud use and higher or lower salinity. Is if your tanks salinity is to high or to low. To much of a change to fast as in a water change will stress your fish.

spanko

You want the water change new water to match the tank parameters as closely as possible. Sg, Ph and temperature being the main items to concern yourself with. If you hae to change slainity in your display you should do it slowly with your top off water, remove a little water and add fresh RO/DI or distilled to lower Sg, add premixed saltwater to raise it.

fish4rudy

Same salinity as the display tank.I use a plastic drum to mix the water and then circulate the mix for 24 hours and test the salinity prior to the water change then I top off with fresh water R.O.,D.I in between water changes. I just have an extra power head that I throw in the drum to mix the water.

zman1

Depends, if after time from emptying skimmate (I wet skim) and a buildup of salt-creep that lowers my salinity in the DTs, I will mix the change water a little heavy. The longer the time between water changes the more this is impacted.

sueandherzoo

I would THINK (but I"m a newbie so only take this as .02 cents worth) that you would check the tank water and determine from that if you need to maintain the current level, raise it, or lower it. Wouldn't that be the perfect time to do a small adjustment -- when you're doing a 10% water change?
Sue