water change question

darkfish

Do I need to heat the water to tank temprature before I do a water change? Lets say this is a 10% change. I know I have to mix salt first.

t316

Yes you need to match the temp in the tank, or close to it. And as you noted, you need to mix the salt first, but it is advisable to do this at least 24 hrs in advance, not just mix it, heat and add it. Mix it, throw a heater in there, and let it sit for a day or more with a powerhead keeping it moving around. This will help ensure that everything is dissolved and mixed really well.

florida joe

I would not rush out and get a heater. Compare your DT temp with the temp in your make up water. Are you using a pump to circulate the water while you are mixing the salt? The heat given off by a pump circulating the water will act as a heater. Save the money and check if you have no pump that is dedicated for the make up water I would get one. You can never have to many pumps IMO

gmann1139

A note on salinity too:
Match the water you're mixing to your tank's salinity, and then let it sit for 24 hours.
After that, check the salinity again. If your mix water was significantly off from your tank temperature, you could end up having to adjust the salinity (for me, its always adding salt).