Water change without getting a mouthful of salt water...

silverado61

lol.

Here's what I do. Stand straight in front of your tank with one end of the hose in the tank and the other in your mouth so that it droops down before coming back up to you. Suck on the line so that water fills the droop and starts it's way back up to you. Pinch it off at your mouth with your fingers and bring your end down to the bucket and let go of the pinch. Takes a little practice but it works for me.

Or you could just put the whole thing in your tank. When it fills with water, pinch one end and bring it to the bucket. That can get a little messy though.

Last but not least. Use a pitcher. A good friend of mine showed me that one.

2quills

Invest in an aqueon water changer or the python brand. They attach to a faucet, when you turn on the water it initiates the siphon. Or simply fill the hose with water first and let gravity do the work for you. Or invest in a small pump and pump the water out.

dmanatee

Just go to your local pet store and get an aquarium siphon/gravel vac that states self siphoning. If you cant find one that's cool to, the regular ones work just fine!
Put the one side of the tube in the bucket and place the other side "the siphon side" in the tank. Tip the siphon under the water till all the air bubble have left. While making sure that no air gets into the siphon point the one side towards the sand/media. Then start making a pumping motion with your hand. Walla! you have a siphon and no salty mouth!

The video is a little long but it explains what I just sail well enough along with another method..
also http://youtu.be/6rny12X9KaI

Ps. If you can afford a python system awesome! I loved mine till I moved. The new house dons't have enough water pressure to make it work. :(