Water change yes or no?

thopkins

We have had a 125 gal tank with star polyps, tangs, & clown fish. We don't do water changes but add water & salt once it has evaporated. Our gravity stays high 1.030 all the time, is it because we don't do water changes? Also we are having trouble keeping shrimp and corals other than the polyps longer than 1 month is that why? Thanks for any help & feedback.

Chasmodes

Yes, that could be the problem.
Gradually add RO water and bring your salinity down to normal levels, over a period of a few days. Don't do this too quickly or it will shock your fish.
Then, later on when water evaporates, the salt remains in the tank. If you replace the evaporated water with salt water, you are in essence adding salt to your system. Instead, use fresh RO water to replace what evaporates and your salinity remains constant.

N

nereef

how long has the tank been up?
water changes are one of the most important tasks when it comes to keeping a saltwater aqaurium.

ophiura

YOu absolutely, IMO should be doing water changes....but your specific gravity certainly played a role in losing the invertebrates.
Evaporation just leaves behind (in addition to salt
) a bunch of bad stuff.
Ever leave a pot of boiling water on the stove and see the residue that remains? Well in essence your water evaporating is just concentrating waste in your tank, not taking any with it. Your animals rely on water changes like we rely on fresh air to breathe.

lion_crazz

Ophiura could not have said it better. I would start doing water changes immediately. When you make up new water, don't make it too low. You will shock your fish. I would make your new water about 1.029. Then, once your salinity changes from 1.030 to 1.029, start making your water change water 1.028. After it gets to be stable at 1.028, start making it at 1.027. Keep doing this process until your SG gets to 1.025. That is what I would leave it at.
I would start doing 20% water changes at least once a week for now, maybe even twice a week for the first few weeks.

Chasmodes

Originally Posted by ophiura
YOu absolutely, IMO should be doing water changes....but your specific gravity certainly played a role in losing the invertebrates.
Evaporation just leaves behind (in addition to salt
) a bunch of bad stuff.
Ever leave a pot of boiling water on the stove and see the residue that remains? Well in essence your water evaporating is just concentrating waste in your tank, not taking any with it. Your animals rely on water changes like we rely on fresh air to breathe.
Yes, I agree. Water changes should be done frequently. I was trying to explain why the salinity was so high and left that part of the answer out...my bad! I should have keyed on the never do water changes part..missed that. DOH!

thopkins

Thanks a bunch. Once I get it in range how often should I do water changes? All of my fish have done great the only things I have lost are a few anemones, shrimp, & 2 crabs.

nm reef

A good schedule for water changes is 10% monthly.
...and just to clarify...there is a major difference between "water changes" and "top-off"
A water change is when a specific amount of actual salt water and the associated trace elements are physically removed and replaced with a equal amount of freshly prepared salt water. This process removes accumulated organics as well as pollutants and replaces comsumed trace elements that are not supplimented. During a water change salt is actually removed and replaced.......if your tank is normally at 1.023 SG then the water added should be the same.
Top-off is the process of replacing evaporation....when water evaporates the salt and traces elements remain behind.....so if your tank is full and reads 1.023 SG then say 10 gal evaporates out your SG will measure higher....a stable SG is critical for maintaining a marine system so most hobbyists will attempt to top-off daily to prevent fluctuations in salinity and trace elements.
Water changes can be very effective at removing unwanted contaminants and replenshing trace elements and top-off is very effective at maintaining stabliity. They are two very different processes.

misfit

Also too, without water changes you arent replenishing all the calicum and essenctial elements in the water that inverts and corals consume,without these they die.

misfit

Originally Posted by NM reef
A good schedule for water changes is 10% monthly.
...and just to clarify...there is a major difference between "water changes" and "top-off"
A water change is when a specific amount of actual salt water and the associated trace elements are physically removed and replaced with a equal amount of freshly prepared salt water. This process removes accumulated organics as well as pollutants and replaces comsumed trace elements that are not supplimented. During a water change salt is actually removed and replaced.......if your tank is normally at 1.023 SG then the water added should be the same.
Top-off is the process of replacing evaporation....when water evaporates the salt and traces elements remain behind.....so if your tank is full and reads 1.023 SG then say 10 gal evaporates out your SG will measure higher....a stable SG is critical for maintaining a marine system so most hobbyists will attempt to top-off daily to prevent fluctuations in salinity and trace elements.
Water changes can be very effective at removing unwanted contaminants and replenshing trace elements and top-off is very effective at maintaining stabliity. They are two very different processes.

NMreef , could not have said it better, was thinking the same thing but I was typing while you had posted

thopkins

THANKS to you all....you've been very helpful. 1 other question and I'll leave you all alone....I just purchased a toad stool leather and it's not looking very good so I moved it more to the bottom of the tank....on one side it was turning a little brown, thus I moved it. Could that be the problem with that as well or maybe just in the wrong lighting and wrong current? SInce all of my polyps & mushrooms are doing so good I wanted to try another coral and my pet store advised that one would be the next step up from what I have. What others would you all recommend.

misfit

Leathers are the next step up true ,but yours is probably not liking your saleninty and your water in general right now. Leathers are pretty hardy once you get your water parameters under control ,he should bounce back.He also could be shedding and if allegy grows on the "skin" they are shedding before they get rid of it , it turns brown. They should have decent flow on them to help them shed.You have to test your water for Calicum, ALK, Mag, PH first then after everything is good. You could try colt coral, riccordia, green star polyps, depending on your lighting their are others you could try. :joy:

saltfan

Umm, inverts need calcium also, top offs are not going to get you the calcium you need in there. Didn't see anyone mention that.

ophiura

My advice is the number one rule in the hobby:
Patience.
The tank, IMO, is not suitable for corals right now, and definitely not new one's. I would get things in order. Get in the habit of water changes. Get the parameters in order, and give the animals a nice stress free home

saba

Originally Posted by ophiura
My advice is the number one rule in the hobby:
Patience.
The tank, IMO, is not suitable for corals right now, and definitely not new one's. I would get things in order. Get in the habit of water changes. Get the parameters in order, and give the animals a nice stress free home

I agree, could not of said it better!