Water Change

prinny

Any suggestions on how to do this? I know you are supposed to do 20% but how often? We bought bottled water and need to know if we should have the temperature the same as the acquarium? We had planned putting the pump in the acqurium to get the water out, then stick it in the rubbermaid tubs full of the store bought water to pump it back in, would this work? We just added new fish yesterday so should be wait and how long?

broomer5

If you do a search for water changes on this site, you will find tons of info.
Lots of personal opinions galore on this topic - but it may help you to decide what approach you will adopt for you own tank(s).

karlas

i do water changes once a week and change 10% but every body does it diffenent.
here is really good instructions for a water change
<a href="https://www.saltwaterfish.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=007331" target="_blank">water change</a>
the only thing i disagree with is that it says use water out of a quarinteen tank. if the tank has been treated with chemicals, the chemicals can be leached back into the water you are going to use. but if it has not been treated then it is a good idea.

prinny

Thank you so much for the wonderful article. It is what we have been looking for. One questions though, how do you heat the water up before adding it to the tank? We bought bottled water in five gallon jugs.

broomer5

Most folks keep a spare heater just for doing water changes. Just place it in the rubbermaid container you mixed up your saltwater in, and allow the water to come to the same temperature as your tank. Keeping an inexpensive spare powerhead is also advised - you can place it in the rubbermaid container as well.
With circulation and a heater - you'll be good to go.
HTH

pitons

We have a really simple method for water changes that works great. Hardware used is as follows:
-Large rubbermaid container (30 gallon trash bin)
-1 heater
-1 powerhead
-10 feet of tubing
We simply fill the container to the designated spot, add salt and chlorine remover, put the powerhead in (this areates the water and helps dissolve the salt), and add the heater to make sure the temp is the same as our tank. We usually let the water "brew" for 24 hours, then we simply attach the tubing to the powerhead and pump the water into our tank. It works like a charm and only takes a few minutes.

k.lee

Hate to say it but on my FOWLR, I haven't done a salt waterchnge in over a year and a half. I've no idea what the nitrates are phosphates are, but they are probably high. I can barely see into the tank since my clown tang went missing. :(
It's a 75 gallon with a wetdry rated for a `150 gallon tank.
My king angel, tusk, bicolor parrot, pair of tomatoes, and pair of damsels seem fine, tho the growth on the angel and the (ex_tang) seemed slow. A 1/2 inch. approx. growth rate per year?
Time for a water change and to get the skimmer going agian on that tank methinks.

k.lee

Originally posted by broomer5:
<strong>Yeah K.Lee
Me thinks you owe it to your fish to at least TEST the water .....
Come on !</strong><hr></blockquote>
heheh. :) But after 2 years they are doing fine. :)