Water change.

T

tailgate1979

I change my water every month, its time to do it. I tested and all my premiters are good. I have been noticing alot more alge then normal latley. I did go today an got 5 big (I can't belive how big they are for 2.99) mexican turbo snails. The question I have is I use tap water when I add for evaperation, and water changes. Could this add to the alge growth?

nikesb

definately will add to algae growth. tap water contains phosphates which will feed the algae. tap water also contains chlorine so you should stop topping off with tap water and switch to ro/di.

nikesb

reverse osmosis/deionaztion. it removes impurities through filtration using sediment, carbon, reverse osmosis and deionization

sly

If you don't have the budget yet for a reverse osmosis system, then you can buy "The Tap Water Filter". I had good success with it before I got a RO/DI system. I ended up getting a Whirlpool system and then I bought a separate de-ionizing cartridge and hooked them both together.

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgate1979 http:///forum/thread/385212/water-change#post_3377393
I change my water every month, its time to do it. I tested and all my premiters are good. I have been noticing alot more alge then normal latley. I did go today an got 5 big (I can't belive how big they are for 2.99) mexican turbo snails. The question I have is I use tap water when I add for evaperation, and water changes. Could this add to the alge growth?
Your algae is growing because there are nutirents, carbon dioxide and light. Those nutrients come overwhelming from the bioload not the top off water IMHO.
to me you need to get desirable thing consuming the nutrients not the algae. As an extreme consider a lit macro algae refugium and a totally dark display tank. There would be no algae in the display and the macros would be consuming the nutrients.
So to me you just need to find some balance where desirables are consuming the nutrients and starving out the ugiles.
tap water can be a problem for reef tanks with delicate corals (sps types). but for easier corals and most definately for fish tank tap water is no concern at all.
my .02

1guydude

Im using distilled water pesonally. You can get it at wallmart for like .62cents a jug. I will get an ro/di unit however in the not to far future. You can call ur water supplier and ask for test results....tap water contains phosphates and dissolved solids that are prob feeding ur algae.

T

tailgate1979

I have to figure something out my tank goes thur 4 gallons a week to keep it topped off. There is only one rock that has the alge on it, and around the filter for my proten skimmer.

C

cuccaro

Could i use a normal britter filter to clean my tap water?

sly

No. Those filters simply improve the taste of water. They really do not provide any real filtration.

nikesb

yes it will work, but its not as cost effective as ro/di. also, manufacturers tend to still have some unwanted stuff in distilled water not to mention leeching from the containers