water change?

A

angelofdeath132

changed over from c.c. to a DSB a week ago today, my nitrates were high b/4 i changed over and they're still high. how soon can i do a water change to try and get the nitrates down a little?

gq

Right away!
I mean just remember to stay calm and take your time.
The time for the DSB to completely mature "Don't quote me on this" takes about truely 2-3weeks to completly cycle!
Ask your LFS to confirm!

A

angelofdeath132

i guess what i'm wondering is; will it harm anything in the DSB if i do a water change now since the DSB has only been set up for a week? want to lower my nitrates(40) or do i wait? the algae on the sand looks terrible! afraid if i don't do anything the algae will permanantly discolor the sand.

cboyfan2020

checked your phosphates recently? dont stir the sand . You could float a pastic bowl on the water and dump the water in it so you wouldnt have all that force going down to the sand.

A

angelofdeath132

what's the best way of keeping phosphates down? water changes? i do 10% every 2 weeks, maybe i need to up the %?

A

angelofdeath132

yeah, i use RO/DI water from Culligan for top-offs and changes, I'll try the phosphate sponge and see how that goes. what about PhosGuard? thanks for all your advice!:D