Water Change?

lm

I have a 75 gallon with LR,one green polyp,one small cluster of fleather dusters,Tomato clown and a cleanup crew. This tank has been running since May. I have to add a gallon of distilled water a day for evaporation. I tested last night and the PH-8.2, Ammonia-0, Nitrites-0, Nitrates -0 Specific Gravity-1.023 and KH- 10. I have not done a water change since July. My question is should I do one or just wait since everything is reading good.I want to add another fish and some more corals soon,I have had bad luck before going to quickly,so this time I am going real slow. All imput welcome.:D

harrysreef

I tend to go with waterfaller test your cal and the rest of the perameters before chosing to change water or not. I also feel some elements need replenishing and changes accomplish this.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by beaslbob
I wouldn't touch a thing either

bad advice..... in general.
You have a pretty low bio-load. What is your filtration?
I 'd suggest running a full set of tests or doign a small water change. By full I mean for copper, o2, magnesium, iron, caclium, alk, PH, nitrates, nitrites, strontium, iodine, ammo.,boron, phosphates and silicates to ensure they are all within the appropriate levels.
The purpose of a wate change is 2 fold.
1. export harmful polluntants that can slowly build up in yoru system and lead to the general decline of the health of your inhabitants (though most of what you have is pretty hardy).
2. replace trace elements that are used by your system and are not replenished unless you dose with additives. IF you dose then you need to test ....
All in all I think most people would advocate doing water changes as an easy way to maintian the health and viability of your system.

saltywhit67

I have been thinking of going up to a 75 gal and i was wandering what is the average water change for that size of tank, and how often?

beaslbob

Originally posted by saltywhit67
I have been thinking of going up to a 75 gal and i was wandering what is the average water change for that size of tank, and how often?

Average water change ohh about a cupful. How often, about every other year. :D
I never do scheduled water changes in either my fresh or salt tanks. But then that is just what works for me.

ags

I think a good rule of thumb for a newly established tank is to do small water changes frequently (weekly or bi-weekly) until your tank is mature. I have a 55 and by force of habit do a 10% water change every week and my tank has been up for two years. Do I need to perform 10% water changes every week? Probably not but in my experience running my tank I have seen better health from my fish and better health and growth from my corals. I am sure a lot of people will disagree with this strategy but for me it helps ensure a good clean system.