Water Change ??

saltfisher

Should I prepare the water like a day before I do the water change? I read somewhere that newly mixed water is not good for the fish. I'm dealing with pop-eye on one of my fish and need to do a water change and I want to do it the right way. I usually pull out 15%, clean the glass, mix water, and put in back in the tank.

beaslbob

Salt: You might try the disease portion of this board for the popeye. I don't think a water change will help that.
Yes most do mix up water for a day before adding to a tank.

buzz

It is best to mix and let sit/aerate for 24+ hours prior to using. However, some salts, such as Instant Ocean can be used immediately after mixing. I must admit I am one of those mix and use people - never had a problem.
However, Bob has a good point. Yes, better water quality may help overall with the fish, but your best bet is to QT the fish and treat the popeye. However. Do not use a net to catch the fish. Use a specimen container. The net could severely damage its eye. And, if left untreated, it could rupture, rendering the fish blind if not killing it all together.

saltfisher

Thanks for all the replies. There is no way I can catch this fish w/out a net. He is a fast little

[hr]
. I usually have to use two nets to catch him. I only use the Instant Ocean salt, so I guess my mix/use technique is fine. I've been doing it since the start.
Beaslbob: I did post in that forum. I posted it here, as well, so I can get plenty of quick info. I have to do something fast. His eye is growing daily. It looks like it is going to bust.
My water is fine. I test it myself and the only thing that needs to be addressed is Nitrate, which is 20-30ppm. I cant seem to get it to go lower. It was 10ppm before and just moved up. I've done water changes, but it remains the same.

beaslbob

My water is fine. I test it myself and the only thing that needs to be addressed is Nitrate, which is 20-30ppm. I cant seem to get it to go lower. It was 10ppm before and just moved up. I've done water changes, but it remains the same.

Just a guess here you added new livestock about 3-4 weeks before the nitrAtes bumped up. Plant life will get it back down. water changes will never get nitrAtes down to 0.0

saltfisher

yeah, I had added a new shark to my tank. Since then, the Nitrate level has gone up. I removed the shark already, but Nitrate still up there.

beaslbob

Originally posted by SaltFisher
yeah, I had added a new shark to my tank. Since then, the Nitrate level has gone up. I removed the shark already, but Nitrate still up there.

unlike ammonia (hours) and nitrItes (days) nitrAte tanks longer to respond (possibly weeks). As you already know they are the end product of the nitrogen cycle therefore the bioload causes the nitrates. Even with RO/DI water the bioload is still there. Plant life consumes nitrates. So by reducing your bioload and/or increasing plant life nitrAtes will fall. For instance you may still be feeding at the same level as when the shark was in there. So nitrAtes have remained at the higher level. In that case you should consider reducing the feeding. You may also now have an increase in algae. That would be due to the higher nitrates. In any event, increasing the plant life will lower the nitrAtes.
Or you could just have a test kit reading too high.

saltfisher

I am going to do all these things when I get off today. I will let you know the status of the fish tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a hospital tank going and cure him.