water change

sting_ray29

I was wondering about how this process is done... I have added water to the tank but never take itout and has been set up for 6 months- currently housing 2 clowns and 2 damsels- 55g 45 ilbs of LR. How would I do this? Does it put a lot of stress on the fish??

beaslbob

Originally posted by sting_ray29
I was wondering about how this process is done... I have added water to the tank but never take itout and has been set up for 6 months- currently housing 2 clowns and 2 damsels- 55g 45 ilbs of LR. How would I do this? Does it put a lot of stress on the fish??

Sounds to me like you system is doing fine.
to change water you take some out mix up new and add that back to the tank. And yes it can stress out the fish.
I just replace evaporated water with tap and had one tank I did that with for over 6 years. So you decide if water changes are necessary.
BTW I do have lotsa plant life in the system.

shmeeb

You really should do frequent partial water changes.
Basically mix the saltwater in a bin, using a powerhead. I usually do this a couple days in advance of the water change. Use a heater to keep the water the same temp as the water in your tank (to reduce stress). Its best to use RO/DI water or you could be adding all sorts of intresting things to your tank. If you don't have a RO/DI unit you can buy the water (its cheap), usually at a LFS, and the wallmart near me sells it. I do 25% every two weeks (some people say 10% every week is ideal), given that you've never done them before you'll probably want to start small so as not to change your water parameters too quickly. Maybe someone will have more advice on that.