Water Change

denniss

Im in the 7th week of my tank and was going to make a 20% water change.Water tests are as follows.
Nitrate 0
nitrite 0
Alk 210
PH 8.4
Ammonia .25

T

thomas712

How did you cycle the tank?
What test kit are you using of ammonia?
Go through any algea blooms yet

denniss

Forgot to ask question?
In using RO water can I use the mixed water immediately or do I let it set for a day.

T

thomas712

If you are asking about a water change then mix salt with the RO water then mix for at least 24 hours with a power head and heater if needed. Up north here the heaters are needed.
Thomas

denniss

Had a brown algea breakout for about a week now some green algea.Dont know which test kit it is but I put 8 drops of one and 8 drops of 2 than shake up and compare color.

T

thomas712

Keeping it churned up ensures that it mixes and dissolves well, also serves to help keep it aeriated which helps with the ph and oxygen. I use a maxi jet powerhead that will allow me to attatch an airline tube to send jets of bubbles into the water. All this gets mixed seperately from the main tank.
Before doing the water change you make sure that the temp of the water change water matches the temp of the main tank as well as the salinity. This will help to make sure that you are not making to drastic of a change in the water chemistry that will not shock your fish or corals.
Never add raw salt directly to the main tank, as you know salt burns and would irritate your fish and corals.
Mixing it for at least 24 hour allows it to stablize some.
Got it?
Thomas