water changes? 2x week

srfisher17

Nemofreak said:
would water changes 10-15% 2x week have a negective effect on my tank?[/QUOTE
Unless you have a problem, high nitrates, ammonia spike, overstocked, etc.; IMO, changing this much is stressful on the fish and expensive.

earlybird

I think it all depends. If you have a 1g tank then changing that much per week might not be a bad idea nor that expensive.

al mc

IMHO you can change out as much water as you like as long as it has similar pH, alkalinity, salinity and temperature to the existing DT water.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Al Mc
IMHO you can change out as much water as you like as long as it has similar pH, alkalinity, salinity and temperature to the existing DT water.

I agree, mis-worded my earlier post. Trying to think and then make sense of it gets tough with several kids around (and my age!)

earlybird

Originally Posted by Al Mc

I agree to a certain extent. If you change this much water with your lights on you can stress your corals when the water recedes and you shouldn't have your LR out of the water if you can help it. Some change 1-2 gallons daily.

acrylic51

Would have to agree with earlybird that smaller 1-2 gallons daily would be better IMHO......For whatever reason would you need to do 10-15% 2x per week? If it's because of poor filtration or such should just fix the problem.....smaller more frequent water changes are better than bigger ones.....Again the key is consistency to match the water chemistry of your tank water to your water change water.