water changes/ cyphoning

vince

When I had crushed corals, I did 2 week interval water changes with cyphoning things out by pressing into the cc.
now i have live sand, do i still need to do 2-week interval water changes and cyphon the livesand?

nm reef

I'd say yes to the water changes.....but I don't concern myself with cleaning the sand......critters are hired to do that task....and do quite well

vince

so would I need to take out water manually (with bucket or cyphoning) or should I just add more water since there is water already being lost due to evaporation?

vince

ok. let me just write this to make sure I understand it correctly.
I will just take out about 10 percent of water from the tank and replace them every two weeks.
how often do i need to replace the top offs due to evaporation?

jimi

I have to top off everyday. As far as siphoning the bed I lightly disturb the top of the sand to get the debris and fish poop into the water then siphon it out not the sand.

guppie

You should do a 10% every two weeks for the first six months after the tank cycles, then do a 20% from then on, this has worked well for me for many years. I agree with jimi you should move the crap around on the bottom of the tank when you are changine the water, so you can get it out of the tank. I have to top off my water every day also. Good Luck