Water changes how much % do you do?

omgsaltwat

I have been doing about 20gal changes on my 125 every week. Do you think this is ok, because the more I read the more I think That is to much. I have about 175lr and 3to 4 inches of ls and my water is about 1inch from the top. So I think there is around 100 gal of water so that would mean I'm doing a 20% water change every week. Is this to much?

petjunkie

I do 10% weekly and that seems to do just fine. All my levels are good. A lot of people do 20% every other week or 30-40% monthly but weekly keeps my tank looking better because I only do maintenance during changes.

emperor11

Originally Posted by connor
about 10% every 2 weks i only have 2 small fish in a 90 though
WHAT?? All that room, and only 2 fish?

connor

Originally Posted by Emperor11
WHAT?? All that room, and only 2 fish?
i have just been adding corals lately i have 100 lbs of live rock so it looks kinda stupid with 1 coral so i have just been addding lots of corals for the past 6 months

emperor11

Originally Posted by connor
i have just been adding corals lately i have 100 lbs of live rock so it looks kinda stupid with 1 coral so i have just been addding lots of corals for the past 6 months

I don't want to hijack the thread, but would you link me to a pic of your tank? Sounds awesome!

connor

Originally Posted by Emperor11
I don't want to hijack the thread, but would you link me to a pic of your tank? Sounds awesome!
my digi camera broke and im now saving for a new one lol

drew2005

I do 10% on my 46 gallon weekly. Most people do 20% changes every 2 weeks. Depending on your bio-load you might be good with 10% weekly.

diane4

For my freshwater tanks, I do about a 70% change bi-weekly. I am a FAN of big water changes. It never hurts my freshwater fish and they love the water change.
As for my saltwater tanks, the only think stopping me from doing 50-60% bi-weekly is the cost of the salt mix and the time it takes to make R/O water with my unit that is rated at 100GPD under perfect conditions (water pressure etc). It takes days to make up water. So, for my saltwater tanks, I do about a 30% water change every other week, sometimes I go for 3 weeks. My saltwater tanks are big though. I have a 90, 75 and a 120.
If I could, I prefer to do big water changes - fish are always happier after that. My reef tank animals love it too.

shrimpdady

I do a 6 gallon water change on my 55 gallon every Saturday.
I do a 2 gallon water change on my 20 gallon every Sunday.
Lastly, I do a 1 gallon water change on my 5 gallon every Sunday.(The five is in my office on my desk at work
).

sepulatian

I usually do a 16 gall water change every week on my 55, I syphon and scrape all glass surfaces (that I can reach lol) but to each his own. :jumping: