water changes my view

fish2

i have had my 20 for over a year and a half and i have probaly not even changed 5 gallons of the water, i just top it off and my levels are always perfect

joicechen

wholesale fashion caps at a factory price
brand:A, AFF,ARMANI,B,BAPE,CA,COOGI,DC,D&G,DIOR,GUCCI,LA,LV,NBA,NY,P,R,POLO
keyword: caps, hats, sport caps, fashion hats
You can different style and brands of hats, which you like directly on our website: http://www.cootrade.com.
When you order, pls let me know your detailed address and mobile phone.
Payment: ************* OR Moneygram.
Shipment: After receipt of the payment, we will ship the items by EMS within 24 hours and send the tracking number to you. You will receive the items within 4-7days.
Customer Service: cootrade@hotmail.com
If you have any question, pls feel free contact with us and the reply will reach you within 24 hours.
joicechen

joicechen

$16 Wholesale brand T-shirt
T-shirt, bape, Armani, Addidas
Keyword: T-shirt, fashion apparel, men apparel
Different colors
Men Tshirt: M , L, XL , XXL , XXXL , XXXXL
Women Tshirt: S , M , L , XL
Condition: New With Tags
It only costs $16 to own different brands of T-shirt, such as bape, Armani, Addidas, D&G, Polo, A&F, BBC, Diesel, Gucci and so on.
See more detail, pls visit our website: http://www.cootrade.com.
When you order, pls let me know the size and the detailed address.
Payment: ************* OR Moneygram.
Shipment: After receipt of the payment, we will ship the items by EMS within 24 hours and send the tracking number to you. You will receive the items within 4-7days.
Customer Service: cootrade@hotmail.com
If you have any question, pls feel free contact with us and the reply will reach you within 24 hours.
Best regards,
joicechen

S

stevek

After reading the whole discussion on this subject. I get a little confused. My name is Steve and for over six years I doing this wonderful hobby. Water change it is very time-consuming process of keeping saltwater tank, not mention cost and stress on your tank. After try so many different approach to this issue . I was successful design different approach for keeping high quality salt water. The question is not how much water You have to replace.
THE solution is how good your water filtration is. After visiting Chicago Aquarium mine conclusion was mine filtration system has a major flaw.
saltwater was going true the system to fast
one step filtration does not give bacteria enough time to process the water
end of the process of filtration was not given high percentage of clear water
My new approach was to design filtration system with multi steps, repeating process utilizing copy of natural filtration system from the oceans. Basically I want to say we don't have huge guy changing water in big oceans everyday. I use my system for one only task to make the water is clean as can be. when it comes to water flow in the tank i use my power heads. By adding supplement chemicals and minerals you can control quality growth of your beautiful garden and happy fish.
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/photo-main.php?imid=27379

blue oasis

I have been in this hobby for 5 years now and have a 90gal reef / fish tank. I have been changing 30 gal of water every Sunday and after so many years it is now a routine. I make my water the night before and 1st thing in the morning go downstairs change the water and mix up in a bottle the iodine, Strontium Chloride, Plankton, etc and hand feed my corals. I then feed the coral every other day with just plankton and some food I make myself for the fish.

geoj

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2869507
How many actually test for and dose trace elements? I wonder what the usage is of trace elements in a well stocked reef system is and wheter or not you could even replenish anything that is important with just dosing. That said I do know of people that do monthly water changes in the neighborhood of 25-35% and have beautiful, long lived (2+ years)systems. I think that with anything else as we get better at knowing our particular systems and it's requirements that there is no real standard that can be applied.
On with the games!
Wow I thought I was going to get farther down the post list. Yet Spanko got me, I remember Spanko asking this “How many actually test for and dose trace elements?” from before, and you know I never had much thought on it till now.
Both water changes and trace supplementation are adding trace elements blindly.
The list of trace elements that we need is down to 31; Info from Marine Chemistry published 2007. The need four these trace elements is debatable based on the anecdotal and good scientific evidence. So scientific evidence as of 2007 only suggests that these do something and this something may be good or it may be bad or sometimes good and others bad we just don’t know.
This is what I got from reading Marine Chemistry by CR Brightwell

beaslbob

This was one of the threads I read while just a lurker.
FWIW I started this thread:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/369985/beaslbobs-water-change-analysis
Which as taken a nice humerous bent.
In that thread I explain the actual effectiveness of water changes. Which are that water changes will result in the (changes in parameters between water changes)/(fraction of water change) plus whatever is in the replacement water. That is just before the water change.
As a result people that have not balanced out the tank have high nitrates and/or low cacium.
As some here have posted there are nutrients and trace elements that the hobbist can not accurately measure. A very good example is potassium which is just a tad below calcium in concentration and a major nutrient for plant life. Which when overdosed will kill.
To me that would seem to be a real problem.
But that's just my .02

cam78

Originally Posted by ifirefight http:///forum/post/2869516
In my 130, I change 25 gallons out every 6 weeks. I dose 2 part daily. I DO NOT over feed,I have a great skimmer and I am not over stocked with fish. I dont have any problems with my levels...oh and by the way...I use Natural saltwater. Im sure some are reading this and thinking
.... Well, Ive done it like this since day 1. Works for me. Heres a link to pics of my tank in interested.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/319804/ifirefights-130-reef-pics
Holy CRAP!!! Your tank is unreal. What beautiful colors and clarity!!! AND you use sea water. WHAT a kicker, LOVE IT!!! LOL

socal57che

Wow. Has it been an entire year since I was going to start the 1 gal per day routine?
Well, it never happened. I was able to hold out for a week or so. I would think that 1 gal per day would be easy. Nope. Every single day comes pretty often. When there isn't a perfect way for me to pull only 1 gal without moving my lights, I found myself not wanting to do it. So, I guess this proves that 1 gal per day did not work for me. Regardless of whether it removed adequate waste to equal lager, less frequent changes doesn't matter because I was unwilling to keep up the regimen of daily changes. Sorry, kids. I failed. Maybe I'll give this another go in a month or so. (or maybe not)

beaslbob

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/3212997
Wow. Has it been an entire year since I was going to start the 1 gal per day routine?
Well, it never happened. I was able to hold out for a week or so. I would think that 1 gal per day would be easy. Nope. Every single day comes pretty often. When there isn't a perfect way for me to pull only 1 gal without moving my lights, I found myself not wanting to do it. So, I guess this proves that 1 gal per day did not work for me. Regardless of whether it removed adequate waste to equal lager, less frequent changes doesn't matter because I was unwilling to keep up the regimen of daily changes. Sorry, kids. I failed. Maybe I'll give this another go in a month or so. (or maybe not)

Agree. It is a lot of work.
One thing to consider is (assuming a 100g tank just for convience) a 1%/day water change will result in the same just before water change values as 10%/10days, 20%/20 days, 30%/3o days etc. The after water change values will vary with less drop after water changes with smaller more frequent water changes.
So a 1%/day water change and all the other examples above result in 100 times the daily change plus whatever is in the replacement water. Assuming you have done enough water changes that the value before any water change is the same. So if you 1ppm/day nitrates not being consumed by the tank, nitrAtes will rise to 100ppm just before the water change(s) pluse whatever is in the replaceent water.
my .02

reefkprz

I remember back when i had my 45g high, I was a little more comfortable money-wise and was ordering ridiculous amounts of salt. I tried a run of doing 5 gallons a day. it wasnt that hard, but after a while it got quite annoying. but for the couple months I ran with it I did notice my tank seemed super healthy, but setting 20 minutes a day extra to mess with my tank became a challenge after a while.