Water changes not needed...?

B

bt_1999_66

Hola Everyone...!
I was just thinking...!
I have not done a water change in seven months now and all parameters are nearly perfect... Ammo "zero", Trites "Zero", Trates "5-10"....
I do always keep everything clean, skimmer, biobag, foam prefilters, Everything...
Also, I continually add trace elements, calcium, Phytoplankton....
All corals, fish, rock, live plants (Several Kinds) are doing just great and spreading, Corals growing, fish happy...
Everything else that I have done I have read about and learned from this BB.:D :D :D
Thank you all.....!
Just thought I gave credit where credit is due...

jumpfrog

Great thread and it's been a while since we've had input from some of the experimenters out there.
I'm thinking 10% every three months right now as I dose regularly and parameters seem to stay steady. Anthem makes a great point about all the "parameters" we can't measure.
Any input from those trying something new. Seems I read a post lately where someone said they hadn't changed water in like 18 months:cool:

B

bt_1999_66

Point taken.
However, I also keep a very close eye on the "Conditions" of all inhabitants... Every Day, at night, in the morning, when I get a chance to go home for lunch... If anything has the slightlest look like it is having a hard time, I test for Ammo, Trites, Trates, Phos, Copper. Although, not testing Oxigen content or magnesium and many other parameters that can possibly be tested...
I find that my latest venue has been working thus far, so I will continue... I also forgot to mention that since I started this my Acros in the Smaller tank have been growing better than ever and the colors are brighter. Polyp extesion is facinating thus far....
Thanks for the input...

broomer5

Thanks for that enlightening graphic commentary Jeff :D
Now .......... let's see if I can get that horrible image out of my mind LOL hehehehaha
Ya nut ! :p

y2says

I haven't done a water change for about 4 months myself and everything seems to fine as well. I've just read in the board about someone talking about using carbon for a few days to a week to take away the toxins and then add trace eliments. I do have to agree that a little water change is not going to hurt.

B

bt_1999_66

PH tested during lunch...8.3
I am editing this thus, I by no means say to STOP doing water changes, however, I have found that before when I used to do 15%-25% water changes, this just did not flourish like they have been lately. Also, it seems that this maybe one of those special cases...
There is a lot more than what I have stated in orer to make the desicion that I currectly have made... The feeding schedule, maintenance schedule, what chemicals I add, when and how regularly I add them... Skimmer maintenance... Many, many things.
So Do not think that I am saying that No water changes are needed. Of course if I see my animals in any way suffering or even altered for more than a day or so... I would probably consider doing a water change. But, until I am sure that it has to do with the water chemistry, I probably would not....
Just what I am experiencing, and just sharing it with you guys....
:)

B

bt_1999_66

Anthem,
I did not intend to Flame, nor did I expect a return as such....
Sorry if I upset you...
Benny

sgt__york

Anthem,
Please dont take THIS as a bash either nothing i say is every personally derogative.. but i would like to question a few points made - that is how we all learn right? :)
First.. I notice that every occurance as a reason "NOT" to do water changes is negative.
"don't want to, can't afford to, not enough time to, too lazy to, whatever"
In addition it is said they can't "HURT" which is a 100% valid point.
HOWEVER - i think the focus of the question is - is it NECESSARY AND BENEFICIAL.
It has been said "dilution is the solution to polution." WELL SAID. HOWEVER, isn't another SOLUTION the REDUCTION OF POLUTION thus not "NEEDING" the DILUTION?
Can't the arguement be made, that if you carbon a few days each month you REMOVE a lot of toxins (tested for and NOT tested for). Further if you add the trace elements back "AND" monitor tested elements "AND" observe the tank - doesn't that give you most all the evidence necessary as to whether a water change is needed or not?
OBVIOUSLY if a problem arises unexplainable (that carbon didn't get, etc) a dilution helps the situation. YES, constant water changes are a dilution of any pollution in the tank - but I guess i'm asking/questioning is it NECESSARY if someone does as stated? (ie, carbon, trace replacements, test elements, observe for good life in the tank).
You mentioned magnesium earlier - "magnesium is one of the CRITICAL elements in stable pH" THUS LOGICALL if you have a stable acceptable PH - then magnesium must be fine right? And if he is additing magnesium as a trace element that's likely WHY his PH is stable.
I guess I question everything for understand - I find that's how I learn. But faced with "evidence" of long term success without a water change and a formula that seems to work "WITHOUT" negating anything we have learned - doesn't that merit some credit?
When everyone used bio balls and the Germans threw em out and began using Berlin method - after repeated studies of success many around the world followed suit. We did this based on evidence of success NOT "that's not how it's done."
I'm not even stating my opinion on water changes or how often I do or do not - as i said this isn't personal. I just want to learn, as many of us do. And i KNOW i do not have a diluted 5% knowledge of marine keeping that others may have here. But I know that learning means questioning everything and that long term success shouldn't be dismissed simply because it's not the current "norm."
I think his setup and situaion SHOULD be tested, studied, scrutinized for failure somewhere - because if it's truly successful it will withstand the scrutiny :) You mentioned magnesium leading to unstable PH - he has verified his PH is fine. I havn't read one thing yet to question or test for that disputes this as a successful, thriving reef system/setup yet. Any other thoughts?
PS: DISCLAIMER - you are correct that "most" ppl that don't do water changes ARE because of the various "negative" reasons - it's human nature. But there is a stark DIFFERENCE between someone who doesn't do them out of laziness and someone who doesn't do them that is disciplined to run the carbon; replace the trace elements; and monitor everything. That isn't laziness ;) I just hate to see someone successful with a different method be compared to that which he is not :)
I do not think there is ANY "flaming" or personal attacks going on on this thread, or on the board that i've seen. Seems like a GREAT bunch of people of VASTLY different backgrounds and experience all with 1 thing in common - a love of the hobby. Isn't that why we are all here?? :cool:

anthony812

I do water cahngese every week and i am gonna continue to do so because i'm gonan keep acroporas. Thats just my rule if you want you can do water cahngese every two weeks. I tried not doing water changese for 6 months it work everything was 0 but still i say water changese are always better

sgt__york

anthem,
I agree..and well said! Without a doubt - targeted at beginner/intermediate hobbyst (which i still consider myself) - the discussion should NOT be an advocate against water changes. I still do water changes - but i admit, i an curious to learn "WHY" so many of his corals would be doing better than they ever have now that he has NOT done water changes in 7 months. What are the possible differences. What was removed that the corals needed before? Or what other factors contributed to them then? Perhaps the water was stirred up too much when the water changes were done and detris was thrown about? *shrug* What is being done NOW that is helping so much?
There are things that happen that don't make sense - until studies are done and questions answered.
I found it most interesting at the GARF.org site where they talked about fragmenting SPS (specifically Acropora) - where a small 1" fragment would grow quicker and LARGER than the parent it came from. And it grows quicker/larger than a 2" fragment would. It doesn't make sense (even called a new phenomenon) until you discover the "escape size" that stimulats a survival instinct or 'rapid growth' affect.
Well, i'm off subject except to say - evidence is evidence - and I for one enjoy knowing "WHY" things do what they do. His success intrigues me. Until it is repeated and questions are answered as to WHY that would be better - I'll continue doing my water changes as well. But it still intrigues me ;)

nm reef

This is one of those topics that sprout up every now and then.....always causes a minor uproar...along with strong differences of opinion.
Since I started a 10 gal batch of fresh saltwater to do 5 gal changes on both my reef & my fish only I'll let that show my preference to do 5%-10% water changes about once a month!
Personally I feel that a small percentage water change on a somewhat frequent can do little to no harm....and I also feel that not doing any water change for extended periods can create potential for problems beyond my ability to anticipate!
Is my way either the right way....or is my method the way all systems should be kept? Nope....but its worked for me....my system has remained stable and has matured very well.
My position is that if it works for you and your system then more power to you.....also if a new hobbist were to ask....I would definitely urge them to perform small percentage(5%-10%) water changes at least once a month.
I would not feel comfortable advising or even suggesting that water changes be neglected or put off indefinitely! Personally I would be concern for the potential for problems that could have extremely bad effects!!In our enclosed systems there is definite potential for un-measured/monitored toxins or trace elements to build up. In the oceans reefs the water is constantly turned over via natural actions....it just simply seems beneficial to remove portions of our enclosed systems water on a somewhat regular basis and replace it with fresh water.

broomer5

Water changes
I'm not going to get into all of the possible outcomes from either doing or not doing water changes.
I think it's been very well covered here by many.
I will say this.
Until I have the means to test every water parameter in my tanks, and prove beyond a doubt that they are unnecessary, I will continue to do the monthly procedure.
In other words ..... I will always do water changes.
As Ed stated a couple of times, properly mixed and aerated saltwater, prepared with good quality RO/DI water, where the variables are tweeked to match your display tank, is about the cleanest and purest synthetic saltwater you can have at home.
Regularly removing a percentage of old fouled tankwater and replacing it with fresh saltwater is in my opinion not only a personal necessity of mine, but the absolute best insurance for my success in this great hobby.
If someone is experiencing poor results after doing a water change - something is messes up with the procedure, water quality or other parameters.
If someone is successfull doing little if any water changes, then something is certainly in balance with their tank. But even the most controlled closed loop system can fall out of balance.
Doing water changes is insurance for my tank. Insurance for the money and time I've invested in it.
A few minutes to prep.
A few minutes to tweek/test.
A few minutes to perform the change.
Hours of enjoyment and peace of mind.

sgt__york

Well said broomer. I find it intersting that many others say once a week. You mentioned once a month. As I read more at the GARF.org many there say every other month. 5%, 10% 20% LOL
Obviously everyone does it different also accounting in to how it fits their lifestyle and schedule.
I am curious tho if ppl have done waterchange at DIFFERNT intervals - what do they find the most success with in regards to their tanks growth and appearance.
I was thinking.. once i get my full bio load of fish .. i'd do continual water changes until I get my nitrate to <5ppm. Then NOT do a waterchange and track the nitrates every day or 2 days max - and try to chart their growth rate - up to about 50 or so. I would think this should give me enuf info to find some optimal times and amounts for water changes.
Obviously if your nitrates are at 50ppm and u do a 10% wter change your only taking about 5ppm - leaving you with 45ppm still. Even at 20% that only reduces it to 40ppm. Not a huge difference. If you wait a week - will the growth rate of nitrate overpower your dilution rate? Guess that's the wonderful think about the DSB and/or Refugium. :)
I realize nitrate levels are not the sole reason for waterchanges - but having a fish bio load would be a good indicator to use to forumate a rasonable schedule.
Once i get that setup, i'd like to get my refugium online and track the difference it makes and reformate it from that.

broomer5

That sounds like an interesting experiment sgt__york, but I would not allow my tanks nitrates to rise to 50, for the sake of the experiment.
I agree 100% with you on the timing of the change.
In a newly set up tank - I do more water changes than after it matures a little. Once a month at least - maybe every 2-3 weeks after I'm sure it's finished cycle.
The test kit results and your own personal judgement should be your guide from that point on.
Each person's tank is different, and each person has their own way of doing things.
If you do small water changes often - many times you can keep things in check.
If you're parameters ( nitrate for example ) get out of hand, then larger more frequent water changes are needed, or they do very little to correct the problem.
Not letting the water quality get to a point where there is a problem is the most sure fire way of avoiding stress to your tank critters.
As we know ...overfeeding, inadequate circulation, poor filtration, overstocking, allowing detritus to accumulate and general lack of maintenance/cleaning are the things to watch out for.
If you have good tank care habits - chances are you may not need to do as large of water change, or as often.
If on the other hand, you have a messy tank with messy eaters, and let your tank chores lapse - most would agree that water changes may be more important.
Plus the additional support from larger tankwater volume versus the bioload, functional algae refugiums and a deep living sandbed will all play a part in one's water quality - and I say should be factored in to one's choice of water change schedule/procedure.
Here's a neat article regarding water changes and some of the affects on saltwater chemistry - specifically the nitrates we all are aware of, plus the magnesium level as Ed discussed.
If you have time to read it - I think you'll find it interesting.
See ya ;)
Effect of water changes - Craig Bingman