Water Changes or not...

shanahjm

As a casual observer of this board, I am overwhelmed by the number of members who 'brag' about not doing water changes.
My tank is an enclosed system. Since I am 4000 miles from the nearest body of salt water, I do frequent water changes (every 7 -10 days 10%) since the ocean does not replenish my tank.
I run a ecosystem & a skimmer.
I do water changes.
I check my levels (but with an 'eco' they do not vary).
Am I, O.T.L. (Out To Lunch) on this?
Is this luck or just good management?

rsd

There are certain trace elements that you will find in the salt mixes that are depleted over time. I find that if I do not do water changes my corals let me know. I find it harder to balance the water no matter how many buffer, trace-elements, chemicals, food, etc. I add. In my opinion it serves 2 perposes (actually more). 1. Replenishes elements with the fresh addition of filtered water and salt mix. 2. removes 10-20% of the built up waste in the water.
Imagine breathing the same air inside a "helmet". No matter where you went breathing the same air. It still gets polluted no matter how much oxygen you add. Sooner or later you'll want to vent out the old and bring in some fresh.
just my .02

fshhub

i agree and do regular water changes myself
btw, where the ........umm, devil do you live at that is 4000 miles from salt water body?

twicklund

I have read that water changes are the single most important "habit" to do on regular basis as far as tank maintenance is concerned. I monitor my levels continuously, and regardless of water condition, perform a 10-15 % every two weeks (more often if my levels show abnormal.) That seems to have worked great for me so far.
tw

tvan

Funny the ocean is a closed system and it works.
JMO
Tom
PS
Eco system 29 gal reef 1water change 1 yr.
Eco and Mech 265 gal Fo 9 months no change.

josh

Once a month.
OK I am not sure I buy it but just to start a discussion here. Some people have proposed that frequent water changes can lead to a build up of heavy metals.
Like I said I feel the benefits outweigh the cost. Butthere are some people that have jumped on this bandwagon, although the hub bub has sorta died down.

plum70rt

Never Brag, just state the facts:D the denitrator works well for me keeps tank nitrate free, I use natureef products, replaces all the elements the tank needs, Imagine changing 25% of 262 gallons?
not for me,:)

aqua blue

I do a 20 - 25% water change each month. I say 20-25% only because I am not sure how much water is displaced from the original 46 gallon tank after adding sand. I change 10 gallons out each month. My water test results are pH - 8.2<8.4, Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 5<15.
:) :D :cool: