water changes

firefly

I am new to the forum, and this is my first thread. I don't want to be a pain but if someone can help me I would really appreciate it. First off I'll tell alittle about my tank. It is a 30gal SW, I have had it since january. I want to eventually have a reef tank, but I know it takes time. I have a feather duster, a urchin, 4 hermits, 15 nas. snails, and a chocolate chip star. approx. 10lbs LR. 40lbs aragonite CC. I have lost a diamond goby,(jumped out) arrow crab, sallylite crab, 3 turbos, and 2 hermits,( due to a agressive damsel killed all) no worry damsel is in quarenteen tank. I have plenty of flow. a protien skimmer, and have gone threw the denom algea nightmare. tank is finally starting to grow coralline algea:happy: Now my question is Why every time I do a water change, all my tank readings seem to spike? Is this normal? I use RO-DI water bought from the LFS. and I use IO mixture. I also have what it seems like white specks all over the glass of the tank. Kinda looks like specks of aragonite stuck to glass.( Is it possible that the snails are causing that problem? Sometimes I see it stuck to the snails to, but not always. I'm sorry for so many questions. but as for the water changes it seems like the less I do the better the tank does. and when I clean it creates problems. How can this be? Thanks to all that can help.

msd2

welcome first off :)
can you be more clear by spike. What exactly goes up? all reading? ates, ites, ph, ca, etc etc.....
also are you mixing the saltwater and letting it cure a couple of days?
the white spots, can you get a pic?

nero

first thing... the chocolate chip star is not reef safe, i dont know if you know that.
second thing... if you read the "oceanic salt" thread i think you might think about changing your salt brand. (some people said that they had water problems with the IO mixture, and when they switched to the oceanic salt kind, they saw great improvements)
third thing... the white specs might be snail eggs. you have a lot of snails, im sure they are having a good old time with each other ;)
other than that, i think your tank is great from what you said. you should try to switch to oceanic, thats what i use and my water is just about perfect. I do 10-15% water changes once a week and the tank seems to be very stable. I guess to switch salt brands, you just start using the kind you want for water changes. I hope you have good luck with your reef tank! let us know if you try switching salts and how that goes. good luck!

obarrera

I think I know what white stiff you're talking about.I have them too,they are stuck on the glass and it's kind of hard to take it out,not that hard tho.

nero

do the white spots look like little glass beads? do they have any texture, or are they smooth with the glass? if they look like beads, i think they might be snail eggs. i could be wrong about the snail thing though... but that is what it sounds like (thats what happened to one of my freshwater tanks... i dont know if SW snails do the same thing). you should get them off pronto or you might have A LOT of snails soon.

firefly

Thanks for the info. I will try to answer all questions that you have asked.
First msd2:can you be more clear by spike. What exactly goes up? all reading? ates, ites, ph, ca, etc etc.....
nitrates : nitrites: amonia: and PH. pacific gravity is ok.
second msd2:also are you mixing the saltwater and letting it cure a couple of days?
Yes! I mix, put a heater in, a thermometer in, and a power head.
third msd2: the white spots, can you get a pic?
not at this time. I took out my dig.camera and my batteries are dead. I put them on charge so I'll post pic. soon as pos.
Ok Nero I did not know that the star was not reef safe, I am sure that I asked before purchasing it as I do with all that I buy. So now I have a star 4 SALE ( any takers)

I am also going to check out the oceanic salt. the IO is so difficult to mix. Directions say 1/2cup to 1 gal. but every time I mix my salinity is off the charts...So I am willing to try the change.
about the snails:confused: I cant say they look like beads, they look more like large chunks of sand. I also have a quarenteen container approx 50 gal. with about 40 nas snails. and no evidence of the same problem.:notsure:
I guess I'll have to see what they turn out to be( not worried about a snail prob. I have somewhere else to put them.LOL
I have one question that I started this thread with/ On the water changes . I have had the tank for about 9 months and do a water change approx every 2 months. I know I am bad!!!
but I never have a bit of trouble with my readings till I do a water change. the guestion I have is, My tank is a 30 gal right?
that means I am supposed to do a 3 gal water change every week or 2. well I have to add 3+ gal. a week . Is that not the same and the reason I dont have any trouble with the readings till I change water.. Oh yea I failed to mention that I use special blend. It is supposed to support a bio load. and creates backteria. It is also good to keep denom and black hair algea blooms from appearing.. well thanks to all and if there are any helpful hints to help my reef adventure a sucessful one.. and on a different note it looks like something is growing from the white specks. small and hard to determine what they look like. something like a tulip (flower)but with no color:help:

salty cheese

Oh yea I failed to mention that I use special blend. It is supposed to support a bio load. and creates backteria.
Please explain this special blend.

firefly

Originally posted by Salty Cheese
Please explain this special blend.

I am still new and in the past have been getting my info from the lfs. but it is called Microbe-Lift/ Special Blend. It supplies the tank with the bacteria that the tank needs.I dont have the box but have the bottle and it says: Special Blend removes odors and clears cloudy water (I have never had cloudy water or odor) with nitrosomonas and beneficial nitrobacter bacteria. Also reduces need for water changes and cleanings. ( I guess that is why I have trouble when i clean. the bacteria does the cleaning like nature..who cleans the ocean?

salty cheese

Have you tried doing a water change without the special blend?
Just about all the experienced reefers here don't recommend adding any chemicals to your tank unless you have a specific problem (i.e. flat worms) or are trying to change you water chemistry for a specific purpose (i.e. CA for your clams).
From what I've read here lfs are an encyclopedia of bad information.
who cleans the ocean?
Miss Neptune and she's not happy about it sometimes, see Florida related news.:D

firefly

Originally posted by Salty Cheese
Have you tried doing a water change without the special blend?
Just about all the experienced reefer here doens't recommend adding any chemicals to your tank unless you have a specific problem (i.e. flat worms) or are trying to change you water chemistry for a specific purpose (i.e. CA for your clams).
From what I've read here lfs are an encyclopedia of bad information.
Miss Neptune and she's not happy about it sometimes, see Florida related news.:D

I dont use it when doing water changes. It is a schedule bi-weekly. and yes I have tried to stop using it. then i had a bad black hair algea problem and it looked grose.restarted the proper dosage then the algea went away. and no other outbreaks have occured since. But if I am wrong in using it I want to know. I plan on a reef. I'm getting ready to upgrade to a 75gal. and if I need to take a better approach then I am all ears..

salty cheese

This is beyond my experience, sorry.
My guess is that you have a water chemistry problem and the additive is a band aid and when you do a water change you dillute the additive to the point were it becomes ineffective and thats when you get the algae blooms.
Have you tested the water you get from the lfs before you add it to your tank?

firefly

No I have not checked it. (water). I prob. dont deserv a reef tank. money wise. I have a saltwater test kit but that is all. I dont know what to test and when. or if my water, calcium, are good enough for my next purchase. I have to depend on what the LFS tells me.I really need help:help: I am new to the forum but i am reading alot. to try to figure out what i am doing. I do appreciate all the info.and I want to do the right thing. there are alot of chemicles,tests, and other products. what do i need to do to go forth with a reef. and to insure proper water tests.
I also use a supper buffer too, is that bad also. sounds to me either i need to sell all, or restart from scratch. any one willing to do a step by step process with me??

firefly

(QUOTE by: salty cheese
Just about all the experienced reefer here doens't recommend adding any chemicals to .
I just found more info on the bottle, it reads: Contains NO chemiclals and is harmless to humans, fish, and plants.
therefore I am not adding Chemicals to my tank, just bilogical bacteria

obarrera

Originally posted by Nero
you should get them off pronto or you might have A LOT of snails soon.

Why would she/he take them out if snails are a good thing to have.

msd2

Originally posted by firefly
(QUOTE by: salty cheese
Just about all the experienced reefer here doens't recommend adding any chemicals to .
I just found more info on the bottle, it reads: Contains NO chemiclals and is harmless to humans, fish, and plants.
therefore I am not adding Chemicals to my tank, just bilogical bacteria

mmmm sounds fishy :happy: but all kidding aside I doubt its doing much good. What might actually be happening is by adding this bacteria you are damaging your colonies in the tank, thereby decreasing their ability to handle your bioload causing your spikes.
Do you know what your phospates are at? Also what is your flow rate. My guess is that the lights are not enough, or the flow is low w/phospates in the water which would cause a algae bloom.

nero

I think that your water chemicals are so unbalanced because you are neglecting water changes. If you keep up on your weekly, or at least bi-weekly water changes you shouldnt have to add anything to the water, especially bacteria... lfs's will tell you anything to sell you something. I used to work in one, there are very few honest people in fish stores. I would recommend switching salts, and keeping up on your water changes. I guarantee you will see a positive change. I would also recommend adding small amounts of fresh water to your tank everyday to keep the salinity levels stable.
And as for the oceanic salt, its so easy to mix its wrong. i always get the same reading when i follow the directions, which are 1 cup for every 2 gallons. It is a little more expensive than other salts, but only by a dollar or two.

msd2

Id agree with Nero, biweekly water changes with a quality salt is a good idea. I also use oceanic, let it sit for a few days and do a 10-12 percent change every few weeks.
When the water evaporates your topping off with freshwater correct, not saltwater right? You want freshwater otherwise your salt content is getting higher and higher everyday since the salt doesnt evaporate, just the water.
And your saving yourself a major headache by getting DI water from the LFS. Good call on going DI! I highly suggest getting one of those DI units off of ----. I got one and to my door was about 100 bucks. It doesnt take long to start saving some serious money when my lfs charges 40cents a gallon for di water. And the water I get from the unit is just as pure as my lfs.