Water Changes

jacknjill

I know that water changes are necessary every week or every two weeks. but i was wondering, what is the purpose of a water change? how much water would you take out of a 55 gallon tank for a regular water change? how do you prepare the water to go into to the tank other than adding the salt?

I

ivanfj

I would suggest at least a 20-25% water change every 2-3 weeks or so, or else you won't see much a difference in your water quality. As for preparing your new saltwater, I usually pre-mix my water 2 or 3 days ahead and use a heater and powerhead to make sure the new water is in similar form as your tank water. If possible, keep it aerinated.

B

big911dog

the water change accomplishes two things: first of all you are taking out polluted water (nitrates, etc). second, you are replacing it with water that replentishes trace minerals which have been used by life in the tank. in short, its like opening the windows to the gym locker room. :)
in terms of how to prep other than adding the salt, let the fresh saltwater mature for at least 24 hours to stabilize the salt and minerals. second heat it to tank temp just before adding it.
hth

jenn-e

I have a 55 gal. I change 10 gal a week. I use ro-di water and put it in a rubbermaid, add the salt, put in a powerhead and a heater and let the water set for 1-2 days. Make sure the temp and salinity are right and add it to the tank.:)

bigarn

Originally posted by Gilpil
a powerhead is like a pump use to produce water movement.

And lights help you see better in the dark. :hilarious
:hilarious
:D