water changes?

farslayer

46G, 29G, 10G and 55G. I do a ten percent change each and every Sunday with Kroger distilled water. I'm debating on whether to buy an RO unit or not.

fishamajig

and with these weekly water changes you are able to keep all of your trates trites and ammonia at zero? I have had a tank about 2 months now, I do about 5 to 10 gal every week or so and i am overrun with brown algie. and it seems that the couple of inverts i have stress out a bit.

nm reef

Hmmmm...in the 2 months you've had your aquarium how many weekly water changes have you done?
When a newly established tank is cycling its probably best NOT to do water changes at all...let it complete the cycle first....then do a 20% or so water change. After that I like to do weekly or bi-weekly 10% water changes depending on conditions/filtration.stocking levels.
Water changes during the cycle will prolong the cycle and not allow it to complete.
A regular schedule of water changes can help control nitrates...but there shouldn't be any ammonia to worry about.
The "brown algaes may be a common situation with newly cycled tanks....most often its diatoms and normally they fade away in a few weeks.

farslayer

I use PhosGuard and soon a polyfilter to eliminate nitrates and silicates; silicates form the bodies of the diatoms, so if you have no silicates you have no diatoms, which should alleviate the brown algae problem.