Water Changes

kiriokool

What do i need to do to change my water. What kind of water do i use and do i add ph. I am new to this so can someone please help.

jerthunter

use purified water, make your own with a RO unit or buy it at a store. Make sure you premix your water and preheat it to match tank temp. Then just sypon out as much as you want to change and replace it with the premixed water..

jerthunter

Add salt, there are plenty of brands. Instant Ocean is a common one, Kent makes one that I like. And there are plenty of others out there. Don't worry about adding anything else. Make sure it is mixed and heated so the temp and SG match

kiriokool

So All i have to do is take about an inch of water out of the tank, (because i have a 10 gal) then add salt (I have Instant Ocean) , then heat some distilled water to the same temp akl the tank add salt then check salinity and add to tank. I dont have to worry about ph or anything else :notsure:

jerthunter

Well if you use purified water you don't have to worry about conditioners and your Ph should already be right from the instant ocean so you shouldn't need to add anything for it. You can test the Ph and Alk of the new water to make sure it is good.