Water changes

dleto1

I started my tanks about two years ago. Never done a water change and have note lost a fish (yet) I am starting to get a build up of Nitrate and Phosphate now. Has anyone ever not done water changes besides me ?? My tanks have donew great up to now. I am going to use a nitrate and phosphate reducer.

kris

I have heard of going a long time without changes, (months)in a well established tank.
But I didn't know they could be TOTALLY self-sufficient. What are you using as filtration, what kinda of fish and or inverts do you have????
I let mine go about 3 1/2 months once with no trouble other than it looking like ----, but I have never considered doing it on purpose.

dleto1

I have approx 14 fish, Yellow tang is my largest fish. I also have an eel that has gotten about 20inc. I have a wet dry with roll filter system in it. It looks very good. I just used a phosphate pad and it onlt took 24hrs to drop the phosphate level.
Originally posted by Kris:
I have heard of going a long time without changes, (months)in a well established tank.
But I didn't know they could be TOTALLY self-sufficient. What are you using as filtration, what kinda of fish and or inverts do you have????
I let mine go about 3 1/2 months once with no trouble other than it looking like ----, but I have never considered doing it on purpose.

[This message has been edited by DLETO1 (edited 04-19-2000).]

fishgirl

I have read about a "natural system" in a few books, where you have no filters, no skimmers, and never do water changes. All you need is fish, inverts, live rock, live sand, good lighting, and possibly a heater if you need one. I would be scared to try this -- sounds a little far-fetched, but it's supposed to work!
Maybe you've got the knack to try it!?!

krazzydart

WOW
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a long time . I let mine go for 6 mo. once then the water started smelling bad and looked a little dingy so I did a water change ..... but, whatever makes your boat float..... good luck