Water Changes

brendac

Whem my tank starts to cycle... I dont do any water changes until its over right? Would you say 15 gallons a month for a water change would be OK for a 125g?

drew2005

Originally Posted by BrendaC
Whem my tank starts to cycle... I dont do any water changes until its over right? Would you say 15 gallons a month for a water change would be OK for a 125g?
Hold off on water changes until your cycle is complete. 15 gallons per month in my opinion is not enough. I would do at least 12 gallons a week. I have a 46 gallon and i do 5 gallons per week in changes. Plus i go through about 1.5 gallons every 2 days in freshwater top offs. Most people try to do 10% weekly or 20% bi-weekly. Whatever fits your schedule.

triga22

Originally Posted by drew2005
Hold off on water changes until your cycle is complete. 15 gallons per month in my opinion is not enough. I would do at least 12 gallons a week. I have a 46 gallon and i do 5 gallons per week in changes. Plus i go through about 1.5 gallons every 2 days in freshwater top offs.

This is great what he says

moby

The only exception I can think of in regards to waiting on water change before the cycle has ended is if the ammonia level gets too out of control.
Ammonia above about .5 will cause excessive die off of the critters on your LR. This will also force you to need a very large water change at the end of the cycle to reduce the excessive ammounts of nitrates.
Moby

appleton

I agree with Moby continue with your waterchanges during your cycletime,it will not affect your cycling process.

cgrant

Hmm...I always thought not supposed to change water during cycle, but makes sense if ammonia goes way up.
While we are on nitrate, I have found on my tanks that the bigger 210 has less nitrate issues than the 55, I guess cause of the bigger water volume?
I have gone 5 weeks now with no water change on my 210 (FOWLR) and nitrates are 10, I have gone same amount of time on my 55 (FO) and nitrates are 25.
I do have a clean up crew and LR in the 210, maybe thats what it is?