water changes

socko6774

if all my levels are at 0 do i need to do a water change?? iv had my tank up n running for about 3 months, cycled no problems.. 0 amm, 0 nitrate, o nitrite, 8.3 PH...1.023 salt
i have quite a hair algea problem and my BTA is looking like crap. but my clown, 2 pajaoma cardinals nad lawnmower blenny look great.
just wondering if im supposed to change the water after a certain time frame, or after the numbers rise.

chilwil84

water changes help reduce non tested things like phosphates and other unknown byproducts they also replenish trace elements that are contained in good saltmixes

sign guy

I rec 10% a week for a reef and 25% a month for fo> A water change will rid your tank of toxins and replintish the trace ellimants

crazyaqua

yeah i dont do water changes just add r/o when the water evaporates. i get flamed for this but i have been doing this for along and all my levels have been fine.

chilwil84

many people with fowlr tanks get away with minimal or no water changes and have beautiful tanks but if u are going reef based on having a bta some small regular changes tend to do better but there are always exceptions

dc-fish-e

Yeah when I had fish only, and a large tank I would always slack on my water changes, often not doing close to the minimum.....now I have more delicate angel fish and some low light corals and expensive inverts so I change my water every 2 weeks............tank looks great.