water changes?

beardo

I'm fairly new to keeping saltwater and I have been told many different things by many different people concerning the subject of water changes....I kept a small reef tank last year with no problems whatsoever, and I did not do a single water change, I just added new water as needed.
I am now keeping only fish, and I was wondering what your thoughts on doing water changes are.

college kid

I keep a good eye on all my levels with at least weekly testings, if no problem no water change. I do however do one (about 10-15%) every month just to stay on the safe side. I've heard that you don't really need to do them if you keep your levels down, but it helps to keep disease and alge down also.

lion_crazz

I would not recommending keeping a marine tank without doing regular water changes, especially in a tank where the bioload may be a bit on the heavy side (in a fish only tank). The only time you would not do frequent water changes is if you had a system with a very light bioload that took care of itself (deep sand bed, denitrator, refugium, great skimmer, etc.)

lexluethar

I would do about 10 percent water change every week, or 15 percent or so every other week. At first it takes a lot more water changes b/c of the nitrates and your tank being new. Once it becomes more established less water changes are needed.
Mix your water and salt 24 hours before changing, using a powerhead to mix the salt.
Let us know if you need any other questions answered. What fish are you going to get?

mcbdz

An absolute must for the health of your tank.
You'll here different frequency, but most agree to do them.

herefishy2

I would be interested in the replies you receive from your post as I asked a very similar question yesterday. While I am grateful for the replies I received, it was limited as there were only several opinions shared. I wish I could reply to your question with experience. I can only say "Good question"
and I look forward to others with experience sharing their opinions.

beardo

Thanks for the input, that was quick! :)
I was also told that adding salt to new water was not needed, as the salt you first put in the tank stays there.....my salinity levels were always perfect or close to it.
Right now I have a 29 gallon aggressive community tank with a couple Damsels, a Bi-Color Dottyback and a Picasso Trigger.
I'm going to be getting a 90 gallon in the near future and I'll definitely need some help on deciding what to stock it with lol.

mcbdz

Originally Posted by Beardo
Thanks for the input, that was quick! :)
I was also told that adding salt to new water was not needed, as the salt you first put in the tank stays there.....my salinity levels were always perfect or close to it.
Right now I have a 29 gallon aggressive community tank with a couple Damsels, a Bi-Color Dottyback and a Picasso Trigger.
I'm going to be getting a 90 gallon in the near future and I'll definitely need some help on deciding what to stock it with lol.
For your top off you use ro/di water because salt doesn't evaperate. But for your water changes you are taking out salt water so you will replace it with saltwater.

lexluethar

When you CHANGE out your water, you will want to replace the water you are taking out with saltwater - just to clarify.
Frequency and amount all depend on the person and need of your individual tank. I would use your Nitrate tests as a determination of when to do changes. Once the level gets too high, change the water.

beardo

Gotcha....makes perfect sense to me lol.
I topped off my old reef tank at least every other day....the water evaporated pretty quickly, but it seems my current 29 loses water much slower.