Water Changes

gregstr56

reading through some of the other threads i came across something about keeping "stored water" thats already mixed ... do i need to do that? Does the chemistry of the water change from mixing to waiting a few days?

earlybird

I make my water 2 days in advance. Some make it after every water change for the next water change a week or two later. Letting it fully mix is important and you can store it indefinitely as long as you keep a powerhead going.

megan84

Originally Posted by earlybird
http:///forum/post/2479586
I make my water 2 days in advance. Some make it after every water change for the next water change a week or two later. Letting it fully mix is important and you can store it indefinitely as long as you keep a powerhead going.

and sealed! As it evaporates, your salinity will change

sepulatian

It is actually best to not seal it completely. Even with the power head going the oxygen in the bin would deplete. It should definitely be covered while it is stored, but loosely. Oxygen has to be in the bin or mixing it is pointless and it would still become stagnant. I have had water mixing for a month before getting around to using it.

gregstr56

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2480050
It is actually best to not seal it completely. Even with the power head going the oxygen in the bin would deplete. It should definitely be covered while it is stored, but loosely. Oxygen has to be in the bin or mixing it is pointless and it would still become stagnant. I have had water mixing for a month before getting around to using it.
i wanted to know if mixing water and keeping it is a must or just a preference

earlybird

You should at the very least let your water mix/aerate for 24 hours. That said I have on occasion only mixed water for a few hours with no ill effects. However I used a maxijet 900 and 600 to mix 4 gallons.

ameno

I asked Randy Farley this same question about weather or not to continually mix stored salt water last week, and here is the answer I got.
No, artificial seawater made with good quality fresh water, once mixed, does not need continual agitation as there are no organics in it to degrade and become stagnant/anaerobic.

earlybird

Originally Posted by ameno
http:///forum/post/2482099
I asked Randy Farley this same question about weather or not to continually mix stored salt water last week, and here is the answer I got.
No, artificial seawater made with good quality fresh water, once mixed, does not need continual agitation as there are no organics in it to degrade and become stagnant/anaerobic.

What does he know? J/K

sk8shorty01

Originally Posted by ameno
http:///forum/post/2482099

Thats a good point, I never thought of that. I guess if you really sit down and think about it, considering they do sell pre-mixed salt water in jugs that have probably been sitting on store shelves for weeks without any agitation. If there is nothing in the water, nothing can die or rot. Thank you for the information, that is definitely helpful.

ameno

just a side note so there is not any confusion about my early post, constent aggitaion is not needed, but if you plan on storing your water and then adding at a later date you should first mix for 24 hrs. to get everything mixed and disolved, then when it comes time for your water change mix for a while to add oxidation back into the water. as it will loose this over time during storage. I don't think it would be nessacery for just adding a few gal. at a time, but most people do a larger water change then just a few gal. The set-up that Randy was refering to is with a auto water change of 1 to 2 gal per day from a 44 gal container.