water changes?

cotton0627

I was told to do a water change of 10-25% every 2-6 weeks...but here's the thing....my tank evaporates ALOT and I seem to be re-adding around 5% a week of fresh water which balances out my salinity at around 1.022-1.024. I have never had a problem with any of my levels and I have only done the reccommended water change that I stated above twice in the six months that I've had the tank. Does anyone foresee any posible problems with this if I continue on this way?

ruaround

I for one do not do water changes on a regular schedule...This has been debated many many many times on this BB. The debate is that you have to do a water change to take out any pollutants, and put back in any trace elements that is in the salt water mixture. If youre just topping off then you shouldnt be adding salt to your top off water cuz that would send the salinity through the roof. But, what about the good stuff that is in the water? When you remove water you arent just taking out anything thats bad...This will probably go on and on and on...Bottom line do what works for you to keep your inhabitants healthy and thriving.

crazyelvis

Cotton,
I do a water change of 10-15% every two weeks...It is a good idea to get on a schedule of water changes and test , at least until your system has matured...
Trace elements are the thing you want to replenish, a fish only tank wont use them up as fast, but it's still a good idea to do regular changes...

G

glenn

You probably wont have a problem but do test your water regularly to make sure all levels are good. The simplest way to put it is, A water change takes out some of the phosphates and nitrates that are present and what is left gets dilutted with the new water. Get in the habit of testing the water at least once a week. This will help to keep things in check.
VP Woodwork1

frankl15207

If you are new to the hobby, I would recommend a ritual schedule for partial water changes. Adding replacement water does not remove built up nutrients and pullutants within the water.
The key to success is patience and observation. Water changes force you to observe. It leads to good tank management practices.
If you are going into this you will spend a lot more money than you ever planned on up front. Don't throw it away by being lazy at the start.
With experience you learn to read the tank and can sense a problem before it becomes a big problem. Until you get that experience, practice proper preventive maintenance.

byrself

hey cotton, i don't mean to rock the boat, but i read your question here and bumped up an old thread in the reef tank forum that asked this very same question. it's a great thread imo, all kinds of different views on this topic. sure is fun to read anyway! :D

I think you should do regular water changes(About 10%) every month until your system has matured(1 year). After 1 year, your levels shoud stablelize and then you will only need to add in fresh water for evaporations. Just curious, but what water do you use for water changes and evaporations? I hope this helped a bit.

I have not done water changes yet and my tank is 6 months old. I have read all the posts on water changes and didn't see a reason or feel the need. But....the more you read the more you learn. I have been reading about corals and their toxins. Since I have an enclosed system where these toxins can build up....water changes will become a part of my Saturday routine. An RO/DI unit will also be my next major purchase. I too top off about 5 gallons a week using distilled bottled water and drip about 5 gallons of calcium a week. This is not enough to dilute the toxins and other stuff that builds up in your system. It only takes 21 days to form a good habit and it's never too late to start. HTH
Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman...awesome book!

dsa_mom

Just so nobody takes Heavenly's post the wrong way--she does NOT drip in 5 gallons of Calcium!! I believe that would be 5 gallons with a Calcium additive.

karlas

i think water changes are one of the best things for a tank. helps get rid of excess waste, helps lower nitrates, replaces trace elements used up by critters or plants. try to get a scedule that works for your tank and stick with it. also seems to keep the fish happy. i do about 10% a week try to do one every weekend. i let it slide before and skipped them and the water parameters went a little screwy but once i got back to normal with the tank every thing straightend out

zari

My tank is a little over 6 months old, and I have done many water changes lol. Nitrates and Phosphates have been a problem in my tank, so I have to do something to lower these levels. I do not overfeed, but there may be a possibility of being overstocked on my fish. All the fish are small right now, but in the future, I'm sure I'll have to go with a bigger tank.
But to get back to the water changes, I do about 10% a week. I find that to be better and easier than doing a 20%-25% every 3-4 weeks. Also, I don't feel I'm taking out the "good stuff" with the smaller water changes.
Zari