Water chemical balance

mnieder

My tank has been up and running for 3 weeks and for 2 with 5 green chromis. The chemical levels are:
ph: 8.0
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Nitrite: .25 ppm
Ammonia: .5 ppm
Is it ok to add a clown tonight?

btldreef

Originally Posted by mnieder
http:///forum/post/3158377
My tank has been up and running for 3 weeks and for 2 with 5 green chromis. The chemical levels are:

IMO, not if you still have nitrite and ammonia readings

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3158392
Will they die for sure
No, your readings aren't terrible. Do a water change before you add them and you should be okay if you really want to do it now.
You already bought them, didn't you? LOL

lorene

http:///forum/post/3158377
As long as you dont flush your toilet for a week then go snorkeling in it.
I know that sounds really harsh but as I have learned, your water parameters should be pristine and fully cycled=0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 0 Nitrates BEFORE adding ANY living creature (someone correct me if I am wrong please!)And your tank hasnt any Nitrates yet so you are nowhere NEAR being cycled!
I put my poor dear living creatures through H#!! being in such a hurry and now I live with that guilt! Get yourself a bottle of BioSpira (Yeah, I know most of you dont believe in it, but he's got fish in there already! Its got to be better than nothing!) And please dont add any more fish till you are FULLY CYCLED!
BTW, 5 Green Chromis? How big is your tank?
Again I dont want to offend, just want to save someone else from the pain I went through!

btldreef

Originally Posted by Lorene
http:///forum/post/3158425
As long as you dont flush your toilet for a week then go snorkeling in it.
I know that sounds really harsh but as I have learned, your water parameters should be pristine and fully cycled=0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 0 Nitrates BEFORE adding ANY living creature (someone correct me if I am wrong please!)
I put my poor dear living creatures through H#!! being in such a hurry and now I live with that guilt! Get yourself a bottle of BioSpira (Yeah, I know most of you dont believe in it, but he's got fish in there already! Its got to be better than nothing!) And please dont add any more fish till you are FULLY CYCLED!

+1 for Lorene!

scott t

I know its hard to wait to get everything in order with the tank, but reading on here and other places it takes a lot of paitence with a SWF tank. I have been reading and asking questions going on to 4 weeks. I see all the beautiful tanks with the Fish and Corals and I sit in awww at them.. I have had my 14 gal tank for 2 weeks and just finished getting the rest of the stuff i need except my lights and live rock.... I sit and look at the tank sitting there empty and get tempted everytime I look at it, just get it set up and start adding stuff to it..... Then i sit and think to myself do I want a nice tank that will do well or do I want to start this Hobby (addiction) with a bunch of headaches and Problems.... I decided that i want to start things off right and go slow... I know that this maybe hard but its the best for you and for the living things that you are going to be putting into it....
My suggestion is for you to take advice from others that have made the same mistakes that you might be making wanting to go to fast, slow down take your time and you will have something you will enjoy for years to come.... Paitence is the Key to any success in life...
Good luck to you and Live, Learn and Enjoy all that is Beautiful in Life....

raymond2688

no way your tank is ready for fish.....and i agree with all above i have only been in this adiction for a bit over 4 months and if i can save just one person from the hell i experienced and the frustration from rushing and not listening..i would.
my tank is 4 months i just strarted adding corals....oh 4 months because i did not listen to everyone and rushed so it took twice as long to get my tank right.
i dont want to offend just how i see it

lorene

Originally Posted by Scott T
http:///forum/post/3158452
I know its hard to wait to get everything in order with the tank, but reading on here and other places it takes a lot of paitence with a SWF tank. I have been reading and asking questions going on to 4 weeks. I see all the beautiful tanks with the Fish and Corals and I sit in awww at them.. I have had my 14 gal tank for 2 weeks and just finished getting the rest of the stuff i need except my lights and live rock.... I sit and look at the tank sitting there empty and get tempted everytime I look at it, just get it set up and start adding stuff to it..... Then i sit and think to myself do I want a nice tank that will do well or do I want to start this Hobby (addiction) with a bunch of headaches and Problems.... I decided that i want to start things off right and go slow... I know that this maybe hard but its the best for you and for the living things that you are going to be putting into it....
My suggestion is for you to take advice from others that have made the same mistakes that you might be making wanting to go to fast, slow down take your time and you will have something you will enjoy for years to come.... Paitence is the Key to any success in life...
Good luck to you and Live, Learn and Enjoy all that is Beautiful in Life....

Score 1 for you! Oh how I tip my hat to you for your patience! I WANTED to be patient, but oh how I got caught up in the whirlwind and spiraled into Cyano H$11
!!! I have learned my lesson good!
Patience is a virtue but as with batteries with a new toy-NOT INCLUDED

lorene

Originally Posted by raymond2688
http:///forum/post/3158467
no way your tank is ready for fish.....and i agree with all above i have only been in this adiction for a bit over 4 months and if i can save just one person from the hell i experienced and the frustration from rushing and not listening..i would.
my tank is 4 months i just strarted adding corals....oh 4 months because i did not listen to everyone and rushed so it took twice as long to get my tank right.
i dont want to offend just how i see it
Where were you when I started??????

I had a one track mind-INSTANT GRATIFICATION!
Instant Gratification=ENDLESS TORTURE AND FRUSTRATION!

scott t

Thanks Lorene, yes Paitence is hard to sustain sometimes, (god i just want my tank up and everything in it) but I do my best to resist that Demon.(lol
) I have done that with other things and its just was bad from the get go.... So i know that i must wait as the old saying goes "Good things come to those who wait". I have been reading your theads on the Cyano and i wish you the best of luck with that battle. Just hang in there and i am sure that you will over come that Evil stuff.....

mnieder

All of the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates got down to 0 before i added the chromis and then when back up after i added them and now they are going back down. I thought that this was the reason for the chemical levels and that they just went up when i added the fish. Does this change your answers? My tank is a 75 gallon.

lorene

http:///forum/post/3158554
All of the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates got down to 0 before i added the chromis and then when back up after i added them and now they are going back down. I thought that this was the reason for the chemical levels and that they just went up when i added the fish. Does this change your answers? My tank is a 75 gallon.
When adding fish, its best to do this slowly to prevent bio overload which is what I believe you are experiencing here. (Someone correct me if I am wrong).
What I do know(or at least think I know-and hope someone will put me in my place if I dont) is that adding live stock when your parameters are not optimal will cause stress (injury?) to the fish you are adding, not to mention MORE bio overload and may crash your entire tank altogether.
My suggestion is get your water in order FIRST (listening to my own advice as well) THEN maybe add more. I am not sure how big a green chromis is, but watch the size an numbers of fish in your tank as well.
Again, I am pitching the chemical stuff (I cant help it, I am a gadget junkie! Just ask my hubby how many infomercials I watch per week! LOL If you want to know if any of that stuff pitched on the infomercials on tv, just ask me-I have EVERYTHING!
) But try a bottle of BioSpira and that should help "speed up" your cycling or re-cycling issues.
More fish/Big Fish=more ammonia=more stress=more death
JMO

mnieder

ok thanks. the green chromis is a very small fish and it is tolerant of crazy water conditions. They are very small and i was told to add them when the original levels dropped to finish the cycle. When I checked the levels today they were:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
i think that the levels just jumped from the fish being added but they rapidly went away.

lorene

http:///forum/post/3159127
ok thanks. the green chromis is a very small fish and it is tolerant of crazy water conditions. They are very small and i was told to add them when the original levels dropped to finish the cycle. When I checked the levels today they were:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
i think that the levels just jumped from the fish being added but they rapidly went away.
Glad to hear your water is looking better! I know how hard it is not to add stuff all at once when you want a beautiful tank all at once! Oh believe me I KNOW
!
I would still buy a bottle of BioSpira to at least keep it "on hand" in case you have another spike or a crash. I paid $16.99 at my lfs and I know its pricey but OMG this stuff REALLY speeds up the cycling process and IMO its worth every penny! Just look for the purple bottle, you cant miss it! I use the empty bottle I used first for my water samples I bring in.
I would wait at least another week or two before putting another fish in though and again-1 at a time. (anyone?)
Congratulations on getting into the final stretch of the cycle!