water circulation? PLEASE!

spmnarciso

I still very confused as to how to produce proper flow. I have 3 Powerheads and don't really know how to face them. Please give me some answers. Should I face two towards each other and another one facing upward or towards the middle to cause turbulence?

timsedwards

Hi there,
The objective is to created as much water disturbation as possible. Randomly is normally good or where you think most water will be moved. Difficult to say without a picture of your tank !
Best Wishes.
Tim.

spmnarciso

Won't too much disturbation harm fish? Don't I want to simulate one-directional currents? I have 3 powerheads mounted on the rear glass of the tank at two different levels, pretty much spread out evenly on a 150 gallon tank. The left one faces downward at a 45 degree angle. The second one or middle one faces slightly forward towards the front glass. The third one or right one faces right, downward at a 45 degree angle.
I just got some new LR and it came with some type of purple/green polyp and it's really leaning to one side with all the current.
What do you think?

timsedwards

Hi there,
No it is very unlikely you will create too much water disturbation for the fish. Remember in the wild their breed are used to massive currents, lapping waves etc... Water circulation is the key to a healthy marine aquarium.
Is it possible to get two powerheads on the sides of the aquarium? I have three on the back of my tank more or less at same level (due to rocks impeding them) and one either end of the aquarium, not to mention skimmer and cannister filter outlet.
Regardless of the coral, water movement has to be ace. You just have to find a place in the tank that it likes, do a search in the reef forum for the particular coral and you will find something to help in there. Usually its just hit and miss with some educated guesswork.
Tim.

timsedwards

I use a Fluval 304, which is normally empty apart from when I use Carbon/PO4 sponge. Creates good water disturbation too.
Tim.