Water Clarity and Anemone dying

psuguy

I have a 60 fish only tank. Currently using a Cascade canister filter with surface jets, Lee's hang on protien skimmer, and 2 powerheads. Current stock is:

1 Blue damsel
3 Gold and Black damsels
1 perc
1 clarki
1 foxface
1 niger trigger
1 yellow tang
1 hippo tank
1 snowflake eel

I also have 2 anemones (a white long tenacle and a bubble tip)

First off, is my tank overstocked?

I ask because I am having issues with water quality and a brown algae and haze in the water. Also, the bubble tip anemone was doing great (near the top of the tank and eating shrimp every other day). He is now on the bottom, shriveled and looking flat. Hasn't eaten in over a week. The clarki has hosted with the long tentacle but that one is also smaller then when I first brought it home.

My parameter are all good (PH 8.0, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite at 0).

Any suggestions on what is happening?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuguy http:///t/397282/water-clarity-and-anemone-dying#post_3540809
I have a 60 fish only tank. Currently using a Cascade canister filter with surface jets, Lee's hang on protien skimmer, and 2 powerheads. Current stock is:

1 Blue damsel
3 Gold and Black damsels
1 perc
1 clarki
1 foxface
1 niger trigger
1 yellow tang
1 hippo tank
1 snowflake eel

I also have 2 anemones (a white long tenacle and a bubble tip)

First off, is my tank overstocked?

I ask because I am having issues with water quality and a brown algae and haze in the water. Also, the bubble tip anemone was doing great (near the top of the tank and eating shrimp every other day). He is now on the bottom, shriveled and looking flat. Hasn't eaten in over a week. The clarki has hosted with the long tentacle but that one is also smaller then when I first brought it home.

My parameter are all good (PH 8.0, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite at 0).

Any suggestions on what is happening?

Hi,

Wow...yes you are way overstocked for a 60g, and a few of those fish don't belong in such a small tank. The Hippo should have a 100g tank, the yellow tang needs a 6 foot tank....Damsels are really mean little devil fish when they mature,
and are known for biting your hand drawing blood. They will kill all other fish less timid then themselves, including each other.

If you have an anemone...you don't have a fish only system. They require really strong lights to survive. Concerning water quality....How much live rock is in the tank? What kind of CUC (Clean Up Crew...snails, shrimp, crabs, brittle stars...etc...etc...) do you have?

psuguy

That's what I was afraid of. The blue damsel is fine, but the 3 gold and black damsels have gotten big and agressive.

I do not currently have any live rock. Just base rock that has been in the tank since setup. I assume this is not sufficient.
The only cleanup crew I have is a sand sifting star that i havent seen in a week or so. I had a large hermit crab that died and about 8 tronchus snails that all died (I blame the dragon wrasse I used to have for that).

My lighting is T5 bulbs.

psuguy

So, based on my current stocking level, what wouild be the next step to get to a more stable and clear environment?

dmanatee

Going to guess here, but I bet you have a decaying starfish in your tank. You might also think of thinning out your stock list, or take the opportunity to upgrade your tank.

psuguy

I'll have to search for the starfish. That would be a problem. He seemed fine last time I saw him.

What would you recommend as the next step in upgrading? I am on a tight budget right now (as we all are I'm sure).

silverado61

The sand sifter could disappear for weeks at a time so I would wait before I'd go digging in the sand just to find out he's happy as a clam.

psuguy

Ok. I will hold off on looking for him.

One thing I have been doing is using tap ater for top of and water changes. I am going to purchase some RO water today and start doing some PWCs over the next few days. I assume that will help.

Any other suggestions. I am obviously frustrated with the current condition of the tank (though the fish appear heathly and eating well). I just would like to get rid of all the brown/red algae growth and hazy water.

And it seems as if I do not have a proper environment for the inverts.

silverado61

The water quality problems and algae issues is because your using tap water. When you buy the RO water get enough to do a 50% water change. After it mixes for 24hrs do the water change. You really need to get rid of the tap water. That will make a major improvement.

Also thinning your stock a little starting with the hippo, trigger and tang will go a long way towards getting your tank up to snuff.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuguy http:///t/397282/water-clarity-and-anemone-dying#post_3540816
That's what I was afraid of. The blue damsel is fine, but the 3 gold and black damsels have gotten big and agressive.

I do not currently have any live rock. Just base rock that has been in the tank since setup. I assume this is not sufficient.
The only cleanup crew I have is a sand sifting star that i havent seen in a week or so. I had a large hermit crab that died and about 8 tronchus snails that all died (I blame the dragon wrasse I used to have for that).

My lighting is T5 bulbs.

Hi,

With a 0 ammonia level...you don't have a dead decaying starfish. You can get a couple of pieces of live rock to seed the base rock you have. The tiny critters in live rock are really helpful, but as long as you have rock, you have enough surface area to keep enough good bacteria colonies.

IMO...The water quality is always an issue because of overstocking. Rehome the yellow tang, and the Hippo ASAP...both of them are responsible for heavy bioload. The foxface will reach 9 inches when mature, it needs a new home as well. Get rid of the damsels, if they are already mean, it's only going to get worse. The trigger is an eater of CUC critters...that means you need to get inventive...an urchin should be great for keeping algae away, and too pokey for the trigger to bother. Just one pincushion should be able to handle the algae in a 60g....if it hasn't managed to get the algae under control in a week, add one more...you don't want them to starve, so make sure you need two before you add the second one. I don't recommend the Diadema (black long spine), they get really huge, and they need so much algae, a 60g just can't produce enough of it to keep it alive.

The anemones are suffering because you don't have enough light. They need Metal Halides, or strong LEDs. T5s are not enough. either super upgrade your lights, or rehome them before they die.

So in the end your stock list should be:

• the 2 clowns
  • snowflake eel
    sandsifting star
    Trigger fish

You could go for a dwarf angelfish to replace the foxface.

psuguy

I plan to stop at the lfs today and pick up some live rock. I am also going to get some RO water to start some PWCs. I hope this helps.

psuguy

I picked up about 10 pounds of live rock from the lfs. Added that to the tank. Also did a PWC with the RO water I got at Walmart. Anemone definately looks like he won't make it. Appears to be leaking something from his body. UGH....