Water Conditioners For Reef Tanks???

shawnanthony

Wat's up everyone? NEWB Here.
Has anyone used water conditioners instead of RO/DI H2O like AQUA SAFE? I'm thinking about trying it but I'm not sure. I can't get a RO/DI system due to apartment regualtions. I've heard a lot of good things about RO/DI water but i want to try a water conditioner. Any suggestions would help.

gypsana

Water conditioners do not remove everything that is needed for optimum water. You can get RO water from machines which is not the best but usually better than tap water. I am having a hard time understanding not being able to have an RODI unit but you can have a tank?

shawnanthony

The RO/DI units have to be connected to the water supply coming from the apartments. Management tells me that I can't connect anything to the water supply because if anything were to happen they can't fix it.

windlasher

Originally Posted by ShawnAnthony
http:///forum/post/3041740
The RO/DI units have to be connected to the water supply coming from the apartments. Management tells me that I can't connect anything to the water supply because if anything were to happen they can't fix it.
They have adapters that screw onto your faucet. Then get a RO/DI System.

ophiura

Also you can find RO water at most LFS' or at grocery stores and even stand alone units (e.g. here there are some sort of "windmill" things).
There is NO additive to tap water that will do much to the water quality except maybe neutralize chlorine and ammonia. So you take your chances...if you are keeping a fish only system, it might be ok...if a reef, eh. At a minimum test your tap water at the LFS for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alk, copper...

gypsana

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3041953
+1 and no need to mention it to the management.
My thought exactly! Easy to remove if you know they are coming in for anything because they have to give notice of when they are planning there visit.

oceansidefish

If you have a washing machine get a Y fitting in the garden dept. and use that to T it off. Or you can use your shower. Just unscrew your showerhead and use the adapter....Then put it back when you are done.

sman

Many water conditioners also make your skimmer go NUTS for days at a time, its an absolute pain.......