Water evaporation

H

hammad

i have 70 gallons fwlr tank with 30 gallon sump........i dont know why water evaporated quickly..daily i have to add almost 3 liters water in the sump in order to avoid bubbles..These bubbles come in tank when water level decreased in area of sump where water pump has placed...... please advise how to get rid this fast evaporation of water?
thanks

sagxman

Less time with lights on?
Evaporation is just part of this hobby. I do daily top-offs. No way around it.

muse1

DIY. We used a bucket from buying salt, clear tubing, a pump we already had and bought the little float sensor. We got two floats for 7.99 online.

H

hammad

daily i switch on my lights for almost 8 to 10 hours....four lights, 2 blue and 2 white are T5............my sump is open having no lid....only i have kept lid on the roof of the display tank....which is 50 percent covered...
for RO system, i dont have enough space to install it........

rickross23

And what's your concern? Evaporation? Tanks evaporate. You have to deal with it. Not much maintenance at all.

novahobbies

Sounds about right. My 110 used to go through about a gallon a day while it was running. Just a part of life...ya get home, and add water to the tank. Auto Top Off systems can be DIYed or they can be purchased as a unit. Personally I intend to add a 13g trash can with an ATO and an aqualifter as my pump with the new build, but everyone here has to deal with evaporation sooner or later.
Although I DO get some funny looks when I say, "Excuse me, I have to go water my aquarium now."

flower

Hi all,
I THINK Hammad thought that there should be no evaporation.
If this person does not know about evaporation, he/she may not know that while water evaporates, the salt does not. Adding saltwater to bring the water level up will send the SG into off the chart high. Only replace the evaporated water with fresh RO water to maintain the SG.
The pump is being exposed to air, is why there are bubbles when the water level drops. This is very bad and will burn out the pump eventually. So the OP needs to up the water in the sump (without causing an overflow if the power shuts off) to prevent this. So that the pump is not exposed between top offs.

H

hammad

Mr Flower, i know water must evaporates but i want to getrid from adding fresh water every after 2 days due to evaporation.....

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammad http:///t/391486/water-evaporation#post_3472769
Mr Flower, i know water must evaporates but i want to getrid from adding fresh water every after 2 days due to evaporation.....
AH...I just wanted to make sure, and not assume. The cooler the temp, the less evaporation...however tropical critters like it warm, so no lower than 76 degrees. I would never recommend covering a saltwater tank with glass. That will almost stop evaopration, but will also super slow down gas exchange. Saltwater is heavier than freshwater and needs more oxygen...the surface of the water should be moving on any SW tank and looking like it's boiling for a reef.
When I had my 90g as a reef (82 degrees), I replaced 1.5 gallons of RO water a day. Since I changed it over to pot belly seahorses, the tank temp is kept at 66 degrees, and I top off only 2.5 quarts each day.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammad http:///t/391486/water-evaporation#post_3472769
I "water my aquarium" as Nova put it, every morning before going to work and every evening when I get home about a pint or so depending on the weather. On humid days
I don't need to add much at all. Rainy days I've had to only add once per day. Really dry days I need to double up the amount.