Water Filter Question

susieq

This is my RO/DI unit. The filtered labeled #1 is visibly discolored. Looks like iron. I've had it for 4 months. Does anyone know how to tell when it's time to change the filters?

92protruck

most people use a TDS meter. you can get them for $20-25. Then you pick a number you are comfortable with lnd change your filters when it gets to that number. A new RO/DI should read 0. After about 6 months mine starts showing 1 or 2. I replaced it when it got to 10 which was about 10 months. It could have gone longer but my DI resin was used up, the water started to smell like rotten eggs.

squidd

#1 is a prefilter and if you have high sediment (sand) or bacterial iron in your source water it can clog rapidly...
Is it a slimy reddish rusty look...?
Are you on a well or city water...(not that it matters much) ?
Depending on how much water your making...3-4 months is not unreasonable (with poor source water) and the prefilters are much cheaper than replacing the membrane....
Everyone should go and check theirs right now....

susieq

It doesn't look slimy, it's just turning red. I saw some filters in Walmart that look very similar to the one that's turning. I may try replacing with that before the other filters go too. My DI resin is about 1/2 changed. My water quality is very poor. I've heard that it's filtered river water but I don't know if that's reliable info.

mpls man

I have the same filter for my setup, i replaced all 3 of the bottom filters,1,2,3,, havent replaced any of the others yet, the manuel says the membrane will last 2-3 yrs, the 1,2,3,5th stage will last 6-12 months. i have a tds meter and have a reading of .01, I bought all of my filters from Filterdirect-water.com , they are preety cheep there.

zman1

Replace it and any of the filters before the RO membrane at a minimum. The carbon filters pull the chlorine out (besides sediment) and you want this to be optimal before the RO membrane. Chlorine is kryptonite to the RO membrane.