Water Filtration Question, please help!

gamedawg

I am trying to figure out how to do this. Someone told me Walmsrt has RO systems for like $40. I went to the website, and it says they don't carry anything cheaper than $179.
Does anyone know where I can find one for around $50?
Another question, if I use tap water, do those "water conditioners" that you buy in the bottle really work? We use tap water and aquarium tap water conditioner for our freshwater fish, and never had any problems. Also, what about well water? Does that need to be filtered or conditioned? What about those water conditioners that hook onto your faucet, like "Pur" or "Brita"? Would those be enough?
I'm trying to figure out a way to fill my tank up without making a billion trips to the store or breaking the bank. What if I bought a ton of distilled water? If I filled most of the tank with distilled and added salt, would that be okay? (I don't even know how much distilled water is) How much does 5 gallons from one of those water purifiers outside Walmart cost?
Any ideas?

merredeth

Originally Posted by Gamedawg
I am trying to figure out how to do this. Someone told me Walmsrt has RO systems for like $40. I went to the website, and it says they don't carry anything cheaper than $179.
Does anyone know where I can find one for around $50?
Another question, if I use tap water, do those "water conditioners" that you buy in the bottle really work? We use tap water and aquarium tap water conditioner for our freshwater fish, and never had any problems. Also, what about well water? Does that need to be filtered or conditioned? What about those water conditioners that hook onto your faucet, like "Pur" or "Brita"? Would those be enough?
I'm trying to figure out a way to fill my tank up without making a billion trips to the store or breaking the bank. What if I bought a ton of distilled water? If I filled most of the tank with distilled and added salt, would that be okay? (I don't even know how much distilled water is) How much does 5 gallons from one of those water purifiers outside Walmart cost?
Any ideas?
I have a well and trust me when I say this NEVER use well water. Just test some well water and you'll see why.
Pur, Britta and all those purification systems do not remove all the crap in the water. Basically, they just run carbon over the water. RO is the best way to go if you are concerned about healthy fish.
Some people use the Aqua + and seem to like it. I don't so I can't tell you any personal experiences.
However, I can tell you if you have a local WalMart why not just buy bottles and refill them at the Culligan RO treatment area in the store. Generally, a gallon runs between 33¢ to 45¢ and until you can afford your own RO unit that is what I would recommend.
No place I have EVER seen has had RO units for under $50.00. I'm sure the person who told you WalMart had it was thinking about the under the sink purification systems used for drinking water. Like I said though, they run carbon through the water and do not remove many of the bad things that come from city or well water.
Hope this helps,
Denise M.