Water Flow for SPS

verojeremy

I have a 75 gallon tank and 2 hydor koralia 1050's is this enough for SPS if not how could I make it better( I don't want to dump $400 on pumps can't afford it)?
Is the Hydor Koralia Smart Wave any good?

luvmyreef

I use mine on a wavemaker (natural wave pump timer) to alternate currents. One pump is noisy when it comes on. That is out of 6 lol. It is a cheap way to get what you need. I am not sure about the koralia smart wave.

btldreef

Wavemakes kill Korallia's, their magnets can not handle the constant on and off that most wavemakers put them through and it will dramatically cut down on the life of the powerhead. Been there.
There's more to SPS than just flow. You also need to consider your water parameters, how established your tank is, the position of the powerheads, your lighting, etc.

verojeremy

OK I have taken that in to effect my paramaters have been stable for 3 months same reading all good. My lighting is tek 8x t5 2 whitish ones, 5blues, 1 purple, my flow is set up to do not direct flow but flow all around the tank sps corals in the min path of one of my 1050. Tank is 6 months old refugium is thriving and is 1 and a half years old. LPS and softies doing good. All fish are getting along and growing. Clams and other inverts are all good. Getting more and more coraline algae. But I don't know what my return pump is gph and brand here is a pic:

verojeremy

Montipora capicornas, montipora digita, birdsnest coral, acropora valida, etc. I have some begining sps like acropora from a $10 frag tank. Towards the top in path of one 1050.

snakeblitz33

Buy some cheap frags and go from there.
Start researching not only water quality but water chemistry. Have a complete and full understanding of calcium, alkalinity, pH and magnesium. You will eventually get it right.
Try to buy aquacultured frags or Ora frags. They will grow over time into full colonies. A lot of this is just a waiting game.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by verojeremy http:///t/390065/water-flow-for-sps#post_3451894
OK I have taken that in to effect my paramaters have been stable for 3 months same reading all good. My lighting is tek 8x t5 2 whitish ones, 5blues, 1 purple, my flow is set up to do not direct flow but flow all around the tank sps corals in the min path of one of my 1050. Tank is 6 months old refugium is thriving and is 1 and a half years old. LPS and softies doing good. All fish are getting along and growing. Clams and other inverts are all good. Getting more and more coraline algae. But I don't know what my return pump is gph and brand here is a pic:
This tank was moved though, right?
You need to consider it only as old as you've had it in your possession if it's been moved. 3 months of stability is not long enough, and IMO, you would be wasting your money on most SPS at this point. I wouldn't put ANY birdsnest or acroporas in that tank right now, but it's your money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by verojeremy
http:///t/390065/water-flow-for-sps#post_3451908
Montipora capicornas, montipora digita, birdsnest coral, acropora valida, etc. I have some begining sps like acropora from a $10 frag tank. Towards the top in path of one 1050.
There is no such thing as beginning acropora. Acropora is a HUGE group of SPS. SPS does not like direct flow, but needs good flow, and the two are very different from one another, be sure to not blast your corals, which many people do.
Montipora capricornas and digita are fairly easy to care for and those are what I would start with. Again, I don't think your tank is really stable/established enough for any Acro sp.

verojeremy

No I have some cheap SPS in there they are from a $10 frag tank but I got for free. And I understand the difference between putting a powerhead and aiming it right at a coral.
I forget what they are called but they are cheap ones that are pretty hardy and I got them as a gift and I am planning ahead I am not going out tommorow and buying birdsnest and stuff just trying to plan ahead.
Also I will try to get a pic tommorow but I don't have a high point like from top of tank to 3-4 inches until top of rock. So I placed the SPS as high as possible and in a pretty high flow area but not direct, but same height as my frogspawn.
How could I create a balance of SPS, LPS, and softies?
Also I am going to look for some good spots to put some more rock soon. towards the top-mid so more room for SPS and LPS.

verojeremy

Would they still do good eveen with them like I am not looking for extreme growth just some good color and some pretty good growth like the sps I want the most is a monti cap and a birdnest. So would they still grow pretty good?

btldreef

LPS doesn't effect SPS that much as long as you keep the LPS tentacles away from the SPS. Keep in mind that LPS has some crazy feeding tentacles that come out at night that people forget about.
Leathers and SPS don't mix well, but if you run carbon and are on top of your water changes and maintenance, you should be fine. I've seen beautiful mixed reefs. My friend literally has a huge leather growing in the center of one of his monti caps without any issues, it just takes some extra care.
You really should try to find out the names of what you already have so that you can better get a grasp on what is required for them. Certain acropora sp. corals require different requirements.
Another important thing to consider is acclimating SPS to your tank, especially acclimating to your lighting. Take notice of what lighting they are coming from, try to find out how long they are under this lighting each day and how far away from the light they are. With having T5's, you should be okay. I have to be super cautious with this since I have LEDs and can easily fry an SPS that has been raised under T5 lighting.
If you're going to venture into SPS, I suggest investing in a coral dip such as Melafix or Coral ReVive.

luvmyreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/390065/water-flow-for-sps#post_3451892
Wavemakes kill Korallia's, their magnets can not handle the constant on and off that most wavemakers put them through and it will dramatically cut down on the life of the powerhead. Been there.
There's more to SPS than just flow. You also need to consider your water parameters, how established your tank is, the position of the powerheads, your lighting, etc.
I didn't know this. So far, they are fine except for the one, but it is an older model. The mag7 koralia runs great on it, no noise at all, etc. I will watch them for now. Until you send a mp-40 my way LOLLOLOLOL.