Water Flow?

joeyg2100

I have read many articles saying that the tank should have a 10x turn over rater per hour. So my 29 gallon would need to have powerheads that rate at 150 gph. I want to powerheads and I have looked into the hydo koralia 1, but these seem to be to powerfull for my small tank. As each one is rated at 400gph. so that would make my tank 800 gph wich is like a 27x turn over rate. Would this be to much or is it ok? How should I set up my powerheads in my tank?
Thanks

joeyg2100

I don't have the tank set-up yet, but I will be adding a red sea prizm skimmer after a few months after the tank has been set up.

prime311

Might want to check over in the nano cube forum. I don't know what the best smaller PH's are to use, but I do know a lot of your turnover will come through your filtration.

atrialfib22

I have a 20g H and have a skimmer, HOB filter and a Koralia #2 (rated at 600 gph) and I've been told that's fine...as long as you are not creating a hurricane in your tank it should be alright. It takes a little while to find a good balance between having a huge storm and having dead spots.
When I first got my CUC I had all that plus a MJ1200...and some of my hermits were getting wayy too much flow, the smaller ones would sometimes catch a strong current and literally roll off the live rock! So I took the MJ1200 out and plan to replace it with something that gives a more dispersed flow like the Koralia Nano. It still moves a lot of water (which is good) but it does it in a more indirect way, pointed in many diff directions.

metweezer

Originally Posted by joeyg2100
http:///forum/post/2569494
I have read many articles saying that the tank should have a 10x turn over rater per hour. So my 29 gallon would need to have powerheads that rate at 150 gph. I want to powerheads and I have looked into the hydo koralia 1, but these seem to be to powerfull for my small tank. As each one is rated at 400gph. so that would make my tank 800 gph wich is like a 27x turn over rate. Would this be to much or is it ok? How should I set up my powerheads in my tank?
Thanks
Your filter, protein skimmer and your powerheads all contribute to your water flow. I have over 1100 GPH in my 29 gal. 10X waterflow IMO is not enough. What kind of tank are you setting up? FO, FOWLR or Reef? Fish only, you're probably fine. But if you plan on adding corals and/or anemones, you need water flow. The most important thing is to not have any dead areas where water is not moving inside your tank. My setup has an emperor 400 filter, 2 MaxiJet 900 powerheads and an aqua c remora protein skimmer with a MaxiJet 1200 powerhead. My 2 cents.

horsemen

hijack alert
i have a question on a canister filter is it better to have the spray bar or the power head tip on the return i fell spry bar because it moving move water over a larger area instead of a strong movement in a small area.
would this be correct?

sly

A spray bar will reduce your water flow by about 30% but it will disperse it more evenly. So it's a compromise. I have a spray bar on my tank because my pump is oversized anyway and I want it to direct water to all areas to eliminate dead spots.
To determine your tank's turnover rate, you need to add up the total flow from all pumps within the tank itself. Sump based skimmers and other closed loop systems do not count toward your tank's turnover rate. The turnover is the effective water movement within the tank so that would include any powerheads, returns and hang on back skimmers which actually direct water into the tank.

dmjordan

as long as your flow is indirect flow you are fine. my 55 gal is pushing 2875 gph (52x) and my 45 is doing 2570 gph (57x).